This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Every year, as the autumn leaves fall, shades of brown and yellow emanate from the trees and the nights get crisper, I am reminded that my favorite festival is right around the corner. Diwali, or Deepavali, is always filled with joy, laughter, food, sweets–let’s not forget about the lights. Diwali is a Hindu festival celebrated throughout India and is of great importance due to its history and traditions that are unique to each part of India. If you think about how Christmas is celebrated here in the US, Diwali is the same for most Indians. The festival holds immense significance as it is considered a time when good prevails over evil, or the victory of light over darkness. 

But it is not a one-day affair: it stretches over five days, each with unique traditions. 

The first day is dedicated to worshiping prosperity and wealth and it is considered to be a good day to clean your house and begin cooking the many sweets and snacks that will be shared among families. Many people also buy items like gold or silver, utensils for the kitchen, or things that are considered to bring good fortune. 

The second day is symbolic of inviting positivity into your life. Many people decorate their homes with flowers, rangoli (art that is done on the floor using a powder to create floral designs), lights and oil lamps.

The third day is the main day and is also the day that is most awaited. Families and communities gather together to light oil lamps and celebrate with lots of food and fireworks. Many people wear traditional clothing and adorn themselves with dazzling jewelry. The lights and fireworks symbolize the victory of light over darkness and good over evil. 

The fourth day is considered very auspicious for new beginnings as it marks the start of a new year based on the Hindu calendar. It is a time when friends and family gather with gifts and best wishes to celebrate a new year. It is also a good time to start something new! 

The fifth day of Diwali is a time to celebrate the bond between brothers and sisters although not all families may follow this tradition, it is common in families where a sibling is married.

What does the “victory of light over darkness” and “good over evil” really mean? The answer to this goes back to the Ramayana, which is a Hindu epic. According to the story of Ramayana, Diwali marks the night when Lord Rama returned to his home in the kingdom of Ayodhya after 14 years of exile to defeat the wicked demon Ravan and save his wife Sita. During this time, the kingdom of Ayodhya celebrated the return of Lord Rama by lighting oil lamps to illuminate the sky and distributing sweets among friends and family. 

Diwali has many traditions that are warm and uniting. It embodies the essence of new beginnings. It is a time to reflect on the year that has passed and look forward to what lies ahead. As the enchanting festival of lights approaches next week, I eagerly await the love, laughter and vibrant traditions that make Diwali my favorite festival to celebrate. 

Hi! I'm a senior at Saint Louis University studying Health Information Management and minoring in Spanish. I really like cooking especially anything noodles and pasta related. I am also trying to get back to reading books with my favorite being Normal People by Sally Rooney (and yes I have watched the TV show on hulu). I'm always down to grab coffee and study but mostly I like to watch TV shows and listen to music.