Wellness

Calling All Beverage Lovers: An Hourly Guide of Drinks to Get You Through The Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

My friends and I have recently uncovered a unique shared interest: beverages. We joke—even though it’s true—that we always need to have at least two different drinks in hand at all times. When we go to the library for a study session, we bring a water bottle, hot tea and kombucha with the plan of grabbing a coffee from Einstein’s as well. For every excursion, we’ve got our car bottle-holders completely filled with water, thermoses and every other drink receptacle known to man. You will not catch me going a full day without consuming a vast array of fun drinks. 

From one “drink girly” to hopefully many others, here is a list of suggestions for the best drinks to fill your day—because nowadays, every activity needs an accompanying bev.

Morning – 6 a.m. to 8 a.m.

Start your day with something gentle on the tummy. I love Bigelow green tea with ginger as it offers probiotics and just enough caffeine to get you moving. Another great option is a classic cup of coffee with a yummy creamer. My friend and I recently whipped up our own pumpkin cream to add to a coffee, and it was the perfect addition.

Midmorning – 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.

With your day already moving, keep the ball rolling by staying refreshed with some good old water. If it’s cooler outside, a warm thermos of English Breakfast Tea with honey and milk is a perfect comfort beverage. When I’m looking for something to act as a beverage and a snack, I’ll whip up a smoothie. For a refreshing smoothie, I blend kale, spinach, lemon juice, ginger and pineapple. If I want more of a sweet-treat smoothie, I love adding peanut butter, bananas, chocolate chips and milk together.

Noon – 12 p.m. to 2 p.m.

It’s lunchtime! Kombucha is one of my favorite meal-addition drinks. It definitely is not a household classic, but I recommend the Synergy brand for a good introduction to one of my favorite drink types! Another lovely companion for lunchtime could be a Spindrift sparkling water. I’ve always held fast in my vocal dislike of La Croix, but over the summer, the bolder flavors of Spindrift converted me to an enjoyer of (select) sparkling waters.

Afternoon – 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.

Oh no, this time of day is always when the “midday shlump,” as I call it, occurs. You’re sleepy. The business of the day is taking its toll. What do you need? A pick-me-up beverage, of course! The afternoon is my favorite time to indulge in an iced rosemary lavender latte or a Bubbl’r Antioxidant Sparkling Water. I go for a latte if I’m in the mood for a sweet treat. Rosemary lavender syrup is the perfect blend of florals and sweet goodness in my espresso. The Bubbl’r is great if I’m full but need a caffeine boost as it’s a lighter, refreshing beverage. 

Evening – 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Dinner time! I was born and raised in Wisconsin, and I’m proud of it, so oftentimes a glass of milk is just what I need to make any good dinner great. This is also the time of night when my big homework study sessions commence. When I’m heading to the library to lock myself in a study room for a couple of hours, I usually have a warm tea like the Pukka Brand Chamomile, Vanilla and Manuka Honey tea. 

Bedtime – 10 p.m. to  12 a.m.

Even if it means having to get up during the night to run to the bathroom, I keep my drink game strong into the late evening. I love to drink lots of water before bed because I swear it makes my mornings easier. I also swear by Traditional Medicinals Organic Chamomile with Lavender Herbal Tea from Target. You guys, it has cute inspirational quotes on each of the tea bag’s tags that make me swoon every time I pour myself a mug! Chamomile and lavender are also great for promoting sleep, and they put me in a restful, cozy mood.

This habit I’ve formed of finding drinks to accompany all of my tasks throughout the day seems a bit extravagant and definitely is not a cheap hobby. I’ve noticed, though, that these little rituals add to my happiness and give me little moments throughout the day to practice self-care. When I’m lounging on my couch before bed cradling a steaming cup of chamomile tea, I can’t help but stop, smile and allow myself to simply be. I encourage you to find moments like this each day where you can be a friend to yourself, whether it’s through consuming yummy beverages or not.

Everytime I read a blog about food or recipes, it ends with, “Are you hungry now?” So, now—especially if no one has ever said this to you before—I must ask: are you thirsty now?

Lucy is a senior at Saint Louis University studying occupational therapy. In her free time—if she has any—you may find her curating music for her DJ gig with KSLU radio, shooting hoops at the Rec Center, or drinking a fun little beverage. Her writing is like her life: sporadic, passionate, full of energy, and a bit all over the place.