This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Everyone has heard this phrase an ungodly amount throughout high school and into college. Whether it’s a sport, an internship or a volunteer opportunity, there’s the constant pressure to join things just for the sake of building up your resume. I know when I was nearing the end of high school, everything I did came with the comments of remembering to add it to my documents so employers and colleges could look at it. Uh, not to be a total academic buzzkill, but what if I start doing things because I like them? I’d prefer my resume to be full of things I actually enjoy instead of just some filler, please and thanks.

Higher education isn’t for everyone, yet it feels almost impossible to escape the feeling that you need to build up a resume just for the sake of having one. Plenty of young people get their first job in high school, but after that, there’s not much else to throw in there. Not to exclude student athletes and high academic achievers, but most employers and colleges aren’t going to fawn over your 4.0 as much as you’re led to think. Having academic skills is also not the end-all be-all, considering that college isn’t the top pick for everyone. Trade schools almost never become part of the post-grad conversation, let alone the people who want to take gap years or get some volunteer experience. Most of my classmates in high school couldn’t afford college anyway, but it was treated like their only option. Plenty of students choose to go straight into the workforce, too, especially given the cost of higher education and the gaps in opportunity for millions of students in the United States. 

College degrees aren’t the only way to achieve your goals. While there are a lot of specialized fields that really necessitate the extra education, like Biology or Economics, there’s a whole world of things people can do without spending thousands on a bachelors. Trade schools offer a huge variety of options for people who want to get into things like welding or building and careers like plumbing or even cosmetology. Despite the stigma of not choosing a “traditional” educational path, these skills are still incredibly relevant to services used every day. Community, two-year or junior colleges also offer shorter paths to certifications and degrees, as well. Gap years are also increasing in popularity. Many students need time away from school to get a job or take a break to figure out what to do next, and gap years are usually more helpful than not. An estimated 40,000 to 60,000 students take a gap year every year.

In the end, I can’t deny the importance of giving yourself plenty of opportunities to try new things and expand your horizons, but you shouldn’t feel pressured to do so just to look like the world’s most qualified employee or student. Yes, you should apply to scholarships and test the waters with volunteering and student groups, but don’t overextend yourself for the sake of a piece of paper. I know it’s difficult to ignore the looming expectations of higher education and eventually the “real” world, and it’s hard to avoid the reality that, yeah, we’re basically just another cog in the machine sometimes. Despite it all, you’re still your own unique person and that’s always more important than checking a box.

Class of 2023! We keep it real around here. Librarian and matcha enjoyer. (she/they)