Books You Read In Middle School To Get You Out Of Your Reading Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

There is nothing like the feeling of being lost in a great book. As a kid, I used to fall into books so easily, I could get wrapped up in almost any book, from “Diary of a Wimpy Kid” to “Divergent.” Even now, I find myself going back to reread the same books that I read in middle school and high school. Especially if I’m in a reading slump, I can count on a book like “The Hunger Games” or “The Selection” to feel the magic that I felt reading as a kid. 

If you want to get back into reading, but you just can’t find a good book to get started, I can guarantee that at least one of these books will get you hooked.

“The Mysterious Benedict Society” by Trenton Lee Stewart

I loved this series when I was in middle school, and I actually reread the first book recently. “The Mysterious Benedict Society” follows four gifted children who are recruited by Mr. Benedict to save the world from his evil twin. This book is full of twists and turns as well as puzzles that readers can solve. If you’re looking for a book that challenges you but still has the fun of a children’s book, this is the one for you.

“Esperanza Rising” by Pam Muñoz Ryan

Esperanza was one of the first main characters who I ever felt really attached to. “Esperanza Rising” takes place during the Great Depression and follows Esperanza as she goes from living on a ranch with her wealthy parents in Mexico to moving to California with her mother after tragedy strikes. Esperanza’s story is not as easy and care-free as some books on this list, but it is powerful and will keep you coming back for more. 

“The Candymakers” by Wendy Mass

I loved Wendy Mass books in middle school, and “The Candymakers” was one of my favorites. It’s a bit reminiscent of “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,” a story of four children competing to create a new delicious candy. The book switches points of view between the four main characters, revealing something new and surprising from each viewpoint. “The Candymakers” is sweet but still brings a bite and keeps you on your toes. 

“Hatchet” by Gary Paulsen

This book was a staple at my middle school, there must have been an infinite number of copies in our school library because every student read it at some point. “Hatchet” follows thirteen-year-old Brian as he survives a plane crash and then learns to live in the Canadian wilderness. When I first read this book, I was sure it would bore me, but instead I was on the edge of my seat. “Hatchet” has a way of drawing readers in, of making them feel like they too are in fight or flight mode while they attempt to navigate through nature and survival. 

“A Mango-Shaped Space” by Wendy Mass

I told you I loved Wendy Mass. “A Mango-Shaped Space” is narrated by Mia, who has a secret–she has a form of synesthesia where sound, numbers and letters have color. The book follows Mia as she reveals her secret to everyone in her life, taking her on an exciting and poignant journey of self discovery. “A Mango-Shaped Space” allows readers to have a new unique and colorful perspective on life as they see the world through Mia’s eyes.

Meredith is a senior at SLU and is excited to write for HerCampus! She enjoys reading, writing, cooking and watching reality tv and dreams about moving to the London to work a for non-profit organization.