Black Movies and Series to Watch This Month (That Aren’t Struggle Porn)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

As February waxes and wanes, classic Black films (that I ironically refer to as “Black struggle porn”) revisit the trending categories of almost every film service, where we all gaze at the aestheticized trauma of Black people. As if Black people are not allowed to exist outside of their oppression, the only chances of many Black film creators making it to the box office rely on the ability of guilty white people to stroke their ego. This is why we have so many “Roots” and “For Colored Girls” and only one “See You Yesterday” (notice which films rang a bell). In other words, mainstream media will continue to promote movies of previous Black struggle (like slavery) and Black intercommunal struggles which they can distance themselves from in order to feel sorry about it without having to take any of the blame.  

Make no mistake, while it would be a grave disservice for Hollywood to attempt to erase Black struggle from the screen, it is the same disservice for Hollywood to profit immensely off of Black blood.  

Being an artist and being a Black artist are two very different things. I am expected to found my art on the struggle of my identity while my counterparts are allowed to participate with flexibility and range. For instance, I’m doing it right now. I am writing because of my struggle while I’m sure that my fellow writers are grasping at aesthetics to put to paper.   

This Black History Month, while I complain the way that I always do, the least I can do is also direct people in the right direction. With that being said, here are five Black movies/series to watch (that aren’t Black struggle porn). 

1. “Malcom & Marie” (2021)

Sam Levinson’s “Malcom & Marie” is an excruciatingly detailed account of the fatalities of scorekeeping in a relationship. With two leads who happen to be Black, this is not a story of Black love—this is a story of ugly love. Malcom & Marie unveil the depth of unspoken words through a death match of monologues and close ups. Produced entirely in black and white, this movie is a sensual ode to the logistics of movie making and its elements.

It is not about the Black struggle, civil rights or slavery. It’s a beautiful movie.  

2.  “See You Yesterday” (2019)

Two teenage STEM prodigies—C.J. and Sebastian—toil with the elements of time travel while attempting to navigate life as just that: STEM teens. Disruption strikes when C.J.’s brother is gunned downed by the police; it is then their once frivolous pursuit of science turns into a lifesaving mission. The rest of the film features the duo’s determination and talent as they put their unfinished product to the test. The beautiful thing about this film is although there is mention of police brutality, in no way does the movie dive deeper into it. This film accepts the struggle of Black people with the police and features characters whose race isn’t dependent on the plot of the movie. 

3. “A Black Lady Sketch Show” (2019)

The first all-Black women writer’s room, a show for Black ladies by Black ladies, “A Black Lady Sketch Show” seeks to rectify the failures of the comedic world to include rich, imperative voices. The narrative follows a group of Black women who have survived the end of the world in their bunker sprinkled with hilarious sketches stitched with the talent and voice of Black female creatives. This series appreciates the culture of Black people and seamlessly sews it into unmotivated, feel-good comedy. The race of these characters is not dependent on the plot but enriches the plot in a tasteful manner. 

It is not about the Black struggle, civil rights or slavery. It’s a beautiful series. 

4. “Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella”  (1997)

The film adaptation of Broadway’s “Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella” stars legends Whitney Houston and Brandy alongside a racially diverse cast. This movie follows the well-known tale of Cinderella with original music, costumes and other elements. This “Black classic” surpasses the margins of race as it pertains to fairytales and allows the magic of the production to speak for itself. The race of the characters has nothing to do with the plot or the production, but simply showcases a diverse array of talent. 

It is not about the Black struggle, civil rights or slavery. It’s a beautiful movie. 

5. “Little” (2019)

Produced by one of the youngest Black executive producers—Marsai Martin—”Little” tales the story of humility and gratitude through a fanatical plot of age shifting. After the relentless verbal abuse to her assistant, protagonist Jordan now finds herself at their mercy when she is miraculously turned into a 13-year-old version of herself at the most inconvenient time of her career. While the race of the characters is not important to the storyline, the infectious culture of Black women resonates throughout the film making it a beautiful story of Black female excellence. 

This Black History Month—this year—make a conscious effort to stray away from your typical civil rights, police brutality, slavery cop out and take the time to enjoy the triumph of Black creatives aside from fetishizing our culture and trauma.

Happy Black History Month: the shortest month of the year.  

English major and it shows. Published author. Animated movie and alternative music fanatic. Avid contemplator.
Amasil is the President for SLU's Her Campus Chapter. She is a Biology major at Saint Louis University. Amasil enjoys writing poetry about the thoughts and concerns she has in her head, they are therapeutic in a way. Amasil loves goats, eating twice her weight in chocolate, and baking french macarons.