A Year Without Taylor Swift: Notes from a Hiatus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Every year Spotify releases a summary of each person’s music-listening history and statistics of the past year. Last year when the Spotify Wrapped was released, I found myself disappointed and confused when Taylor Swift was my #1 artist of the year. I grew up screaming along to all of Taylor’s anthems and recreating her music videos with my best friends. However, nowadays, I pride myself in listening to underground, indie artists—not Taylor Swift.

So when I found out that I and just about every single one of my close friends had Ms. Swift as our top artist in our Spotify Wrapped’s, I felt a sense of shame and inner turmoil. Is my music taste really just like every other girl’s music? Am I just another one of the millions of women with her as my #1 when I always thought I had a unique music taste? Am I… basic?

I felt so distraught over this statistic that I decided to prove the Spotify algorithm wrong in 2022 and go a year without listening to Taylor Swift. Yes, that’s right, I was so upset that I chose to strip myself of all Taylor Swift—even her album “folklore,” which was almost a religion for me in the summer of 2021 and her album “Fearless (Taylor’s Version),” which can make me scream, cry and scream-cry at any time of day. 

It is worth noting, though, that I wasn’t completely deprived. Listening to Taylor on my friends’ phones or going once or twice through new albums during the year was allowed according to my self-imposed rules. I would even occasionally “cheat” by putting my Spotify account on private mode to listen to Taylor without it being tracked. This year-long fast was an almost embarrassing testament to my stubbornness and deep desire to have a “unique” music taste. 

I am sitting here now at the end of 2022. I have decided that my music-listening Spotify statistics have probably already been determined, so I might as well indulge in my sweet Taylor. I have been listening to Swift’s live version of “Dear John” on the 20-hour “Taylor Swift Complete Collection.” In this song rendition, you can hear a chorus of thousands of women singing, cheering and screaming in and out of harmony with Taylor. Pain, connection, passion and understanding elevate their voices and express their shared story. I can’t help but think that being a part of this community is something more important than just a Spotify statistic.

Every song in this playlist of 303 Taylor Swift songs strikes some type of chord in my heart. From memories of listening to these songs as a child to the lyrics about relationships that cut scary close to my current feelings, Taylor’s music rings in my heart and radiates through my body. I wonder if my decision to cut her out of my life to prove a point was both depriving and petty.

Taylor Swift always has and will be the first sought-out artist for women grieving the end of a relationship, fluttering with the excitement of a new relationship or stuck somewhere in the middle. So as someone who often finds herself sitting in bed with a cup of tea recharging after a long shower screaming and sobbing to her ballad “Death By a Thousand Cuts,” I wonder how I got here. 

I feel like an addict in relapse. I did something bad, and I feel guilty. I let a self-imposed desire to be different lead to the loss of something that I once held so close to my heart. This hiatus also has deprived me of the emotional support and woman-to-woman comfort that Taylor’s songs provide and make her so special and internationally-adored.

Allowing myself to revisit Taylor recently felt like the transition from a long-distance relationship back into an in-person relationship. I feel subtly yet unequivocally whole. I find myself back with an essential support system and outlet. Taylor Swift’s music might not define me, but she does define many of the feelings I have felt so strongly throughout the course of my life in her songs. I can rest to “folklore” again, skip around and wear a beaming smile to “Lover” and fall stupidly in love with the ideas of past crushes through “Fearless (Taylor’s Version).”

Cutting out an artist, a genre or any form of music or art in hopes of choosing how you are seen by others is silly and self-deprecating. We are what we consume, but we also are so much more. Sure, I’m a Swiftie. I admit it! Yes, I will always know every single word to Taylor’s song “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together,” but I am so much more. Taylor Swift doesn’t define me. She does magically put to words the most specific emotions that I have felt and been unable to express. It is the ability to share those feelings that makes her so special and makes her fan-base so strong, and that’s something I want to be a part of. 

Lucy is a senior at Saint Louis University studying occupational therapy. In her free time—if she has any—you may find her curating music for her DJ gig with KSLU radio, shooting hoops at the Rec Center, or drinking a fun little beverage. Her writing is like her life: sporadic, passionate, full of energy, and a bit all over the place.