This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

I don’t turn 20 for another few months, but it dawned on me that soon, I’ll be saying goodbye to my teenage years. I feel as if I have just recently tapped into the true “teenage experience” when I came to college. And now, I am sad thinking that I’m almost done with them. 

I know it sounds dramatic that I’m scared of turning 20 when there is so much life ahead of me, but I want to stay a teenage girl for as long as possible. “Hell is a teenage girl,” and that’s what I want to be for as long as I can.  

I love the nonsenseless laughing fits with my friends that lasts for hours, when we should’ve been using that time to get our homework done. 

I love trying on everything in my closet before going out, just to end up with the same thing I had on the first try, which ends up making us late for the event. 

I love talking about boys with my friends just for them to criticize my choice in guys, and I love never listening to them. 

Your teenage years have this different type of experience attached to it, one that’s filled with adventure, excitement, selfishness and spontaneity. There is no age limit to these types of experiences, but it does seem like your teen years are the ideal time frame to have them within. 

I’m only turning 20 years old, but it feels like I’m running out of time. I don’t know if this is the time where I should be squeezing every ounce of childness and foolishness out of me and making decisions without a care in the world. Or if it’s the time to start thinking about the future in all seriousness. 

I’m going to miss having silly crushes on boys who aren’t worth my time and effort, and eventually I’m going to have to get serious about finding someone for the long run. 

I’m going to miss when it is acceptable for me to curse violently and say words like “slayyy” as second nature. I’m going to have to broaden my vocabulary eventually. 

I’m going to miss when I can sleep in until 1 p.m. after a night out, and just spend the day debriefing and eating. Soon, I’ll have to establish a daily routine to go along with my 9-5 job. 

It’s a bittersweet birthday. No more using my age as an excuse. I can’t blame making bad decisions on simply being a teenage girl anymore. I can’t blame not knowing basic life skills, like changing a tire or cooking on being a teenage girl anymore. 

My teen years have been filled with loving friends, nonsensical nights, heartbreak, endless giggles, endless tears but amazing memories that I would never give up. During my teen years, I definitely mimicked Icarus and flew too close to the sun, but I would do it again because it has taught me so much about life, myself and the way the world works. Sometimes, I think, “What more is there left to learn?” because I have already experienced so much, but I need to reel it in and realize that life is just beginning. 

There are so many things I haven’t experienced yet, so many people I haven’t met yet, so many lessons I still have to learn, so many places I haven’t traveled yet and so much of life to experience. Knowing that there will be a day coming that I can call “the best day of my life” could just be around the corner. 

There is still so much of life to experience. There are still silly little dates to go on. There are still new friends out there waiting for me. There are still new places to travel to. There are still new songs waiting for you to dance to them. There are still outfits out there waiting for you to buy them. There are still new foods to try. There are still life lessons for you to pick up along the way. There are still new stories waiting to be told by you. And the list just goes on. 

So, while it is sad to say goodbye to your teenage years, the youthfulness of being a teenager is something that is never going to leave me. I get to take the best parts of being a teen and take them along with me into adulthood. 

Hey my name is Urvi and I am a junior at Saint Louis University!