This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

If you know me, you know how much I love music. I’m constantly listening to it, talking about it or consuming some type of media related to it. Music has the ability to evoke feelings and create an atmosphere that perfectly emulates those feelings. 

I don’t know about you, but my favorite way to embrace a new season is by making a new playlist. Cultivating the perfect blend of songs that encapsulate the excitement of that season is honestly one of my favorite pastimes. Here’s a playlist of a few of the songs that I’ve had on repeat this fall!

“October” – HAPPY LANDING 

I recently discovered this song, and it has been on repeat all month long. With such a timely title, how couldn’t it be? This sweet folk song makes me want to get up and dance all around. Keegan Lyle’s feminine voice perfectly breaks up the song that is filled with lively strings, upbeat percussion, horns and a joyous chorus. This song is sure to put you in the best mood. 

“There She Goes” – The La’s

Of course, I had to include the song that plays during the very first scene in “Gilmore Girls” and encapsulates the ultimate fall vibes. The 1990 hit perfectly paints the image in my mind of Lorelai Gilmore crossing the streets of her hometown, Stars Hollow, bundled up in a coat and hat, clutching her empty coffee mug. 

“1980s Horror Film II” – Wallows

It’s right there in the title. This song impeccably epitomizes an ‘80s coming-of-age film set during autumn. The synth beats and Dylan Minnette’s textured voice tell a story that makes me feel like I’m 17 again and walking home from another tiresome high school day (but in a good way). 

“Rings” – Pinegrove 

Pinegrove is a band that has been near and dear to my heart for many years now. I discovered them in high school and have loved them ever since. The indie-rock band blends beautifully eloquent lyricism with unique rule-bending melodies to create art that evokes emotion. I don’t know if it’s just the specific memories I have associated with this song that remind me of fall or the catchy drums mixed with crisp guitar that create the perfect tune for driving around your hometown as the leaves fall around you. 

“Lavender Girl” – Caamp

If you’re looking for chill, catchy tunes that you can listen to while taking a stroll to admire the fall leaves, this song is for you. Caamp beautifully combines sounds of percussion, banjo and the rich, raspy vocals of lead singer Taylor Meier. Not to mention this song is just such a sweet love song. I can’t help but smile everytime I listen to these lyrics. 

“Linger” – The Cranberries 

We all know and love this one! There is not much to say other than this is one of my favorite songs of all time. Although I am guilty of listening to this song year-round, the melodious orchestral intro always reminds me of fall.

“My Love Mine All Mine” – Mitski 

Do yourself a favor and listen to this song right now. Mitski released her new album “This Land is Inhospitable and So Are We” a few weeks ago, and it’s safe to say I’ve been obsessed. This song is honestly one of the most beautiful songs I’ve ever heard. The feeling that this song emanates is one that I can only describe as a long, warm hug. In a recent TikTok, Mitski speaks to her inspiration behind writing this song and album. “The best thing I ever did in my life was to love people,” she says. “I wish I could leave behind all the love I have after I die, so I can shine all this goodness, all this love that I’ve created onto other people.” 

I hope you find some time to listen to a few, or all of these songs this fall season. Whether you are going on a road trip or sitting at home cozied up on the couch, I know you’ll find one of these songs that will fit!

Hi! I am currently a senior at Saint Louis University studying Speech Language and Hearing Sciences and Spanish! I am from the suburbs of Chicago and love spending my time reading, going to concerts, and being outside!