5 Underrated Rom-Coms to Watch This February

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

The season of cliche love tropes is upon us! Boy meets girl! Witty girl has an exceptionally chic job, like a journalist or book editor. Dashing boy has a stoic exterior but a gushy interior! And the cherry on top is always the romantic final kiss–bonus points when it happens in the rain! 

But what about the movies that don’t always get the love they deserve? What about their exceptionally stereotypical plotlines and endings? They deserve to be obsessed over, too!

Here are 5 underrated rom-coms to watch this February.

1. “Serendipity” (2001)

“Serendipity,” which doubles as an excellent Christmas pick, follows Jonathan Trager, played by John Cusack, and Sara Thomas, played by Kate Beckinsale, who fortuitously meet while trying to purchase the same pair of gloves. They are both in relationships at the time, but they seem to providentially click. They decide to put their trust in fate: Jonathan writes his phone number on a five-dollar bill and Sara writes hers in a book, sending the objects out into the universe, with the sentiment that if they are meant to be, these objects will find their way back into their lives.

Beneath a killer soundtrack, the film reflects on the nature of fate and the sentiment that everything happens for a reason. This film may be shamelessly cheesy, and let’s be real, unnecessarily idyllic, but it is still nice to spend an hour and a half at least playing with the possibility that soulmates really do exist. 

1. “Leap Year” (2010)

Anna Brady, played by Amy Adams, is a successful and independent real estate stager, who waits in eager anticipation for her boyfriend of 4 years to propose to her. She decides to take matters into her own hands and invoke the Irish tradition of leap year, when women can propose to men. However, a series of hilarious mishaps and a charming and handsome Irish man keep Anna from arriving in Dublin to meet her boyfriend in time–it turns out, these unexpected events may just be what she needs.

This film may have my least favorite trope–the annoyingly uptight woman who just needs a man to teach her how to “relax”–even I cannot deny the sheer charm of this one. Adams shines as the woman who just cannot catch a break, as she begins to realize that her worth may be a little bit above the man she has been settling for.

1. “Runaway Bride” (1999)

This film is routinely ranked very low in the category of Julia Roberts romantic comedies, but I stand strong when I say this is an excellent film. The “runaway bride” is Maggie Carpenter, played by Roberts, a woman who has become notorious for the three finances she has left hanging at the altar. This attracts the attention of columnist Ike Graham, played by Richard Gere, who writes a factually incorrect story about Maggie. Upon losing his job, he decides to visit her small hometown in Maryland, watch her next attempt at a wedding and save his career.

Simply put, this film is a hoot! Maggie and her small-town friends pull a myriad of tricks on Ike, trying to undermine his story, and watching Ike interact with the charms of a small town is enduring every time. Plus, this film has the natural and undeniable chemistry between Roberts and Gere, who previously starred in “Pretty Woman” together.

1. “The Cutting Edge” (1992)

Cue romance with a hint of sports! Kate Moseley, played by Moira Kelly, is a spoiled figure skater whose partner is down for the count for the Winter Olympics. Enter Doug Dorsey, played by D.B. Sweeney, a hockey player who would love a shot at an Olympic medal. Watch opposite sports and opposite personalities interact and come to accept one another in this hilarious and adorable rom-com!

For enemies to lovers fans, look no further than this fantastic film! You can guess exactly how the film will end, yet this movie still does not disappoint. This film might be the most cliche on this list, but it doesn’t matter–after all, part of the charm of romantic comedies is the fact that we know what we are getting into, yet we watch them again and again, finding comfort in the trusty plotlines.

1. “Designing Woman” (1957)

In another opposites attract feature, the dazzling Lauren Bacall plays Marilla Brown, a clothing designer, who has a whirlwind romance with sports reporter Mike Hagen, played by Gregory Peck. However, when they exit the honeymoon phase of their unexpected relationship, they realize their lives, friends and jobs don’t necessarily mesh well together, and they must reevaluate whether they can actually love each other’s true selves. 

This film notably goes beyond the typical rom-com constraints by offering social commentary on male insecurity in the face of a ravishing woman’s success and ambition in her own career–pretty iconic for a movie made in the ‘50s. This film also gets bonus points for Bacall’s incredible wardrobe and her ability to steal the screen in every scene.

As you embark upon a much-needed romantic comedy binge session, consider switching up your tried and true favorites with these love stories that deserve a little more love!

I current serve as the Co Editor-in-Chief for the Her Campus SLU chapter! I love Nora Ephron movies, cups of tea, and trips to the library! When I'm not writing, you can find me playing the New York Times mini games or listening to my favorite podcasts.