5 Songs that Sparked Social Change

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

As an art form, music holds a unique ability to impact populations and culture. Lyrics, melodies, instrumentation, musicality– all contribute in constructing a piece of art that holds the ability to affect millions of people. Music transcends emotions and opinions, evoking change through its beauty and ability to unite. With this in mind, here is a list of five songs that changed the dialogue surrounding prominent social issues:

1. k.d. lang – “Constant Craving”

k.d. lang sparked monumental change in the dialogue surrounding gay culture and the gay liberation movement in the early 90s. Three months after the release of her album Ingénue, lang publicly came out as an openly gay woman, becoming one of the first openly gay women in music history. Her album Ingénue has been instrumental in redefining queer space through its appeal to both straight and queer audiences. lang’s hit song “Constant Craving” embodies a summation of desire and acceptance.

2. Beyoncé – “Formation”

Queen B arguably has some of the most social power of any present artist. Her influence as an artist and a woman is extremely pronounced. The 2016 release of her song “Formation” sparked outrage and questioning by fans who could not relate to the songs strong ties to black heritage and pride. However, the catchy song is empowering and necessary in discussing the impacts of the Black Lives Matter movement and the persistence of systemic racism as well as the urge to conform to a “norm” in society. Beyoncé, we thank you.  

3. Cat Stevens – “Where Do the Children Play”

Cat Stevens aka Yusuf Islam is a beautiful individual who creates beautiful music. In addition to the simple, swelling melodies of his work, Cat Stevens’ lyrics are deeply rooted in a call for social change. The release of “Where Do the Children Play” in 1970 sparked discussion of growing industrialization and declining environmental concern. “Where Do the Children Play” begs the question: when did we start prioritizing technology over the happiness and health of our children?

4. Marvin Gaye – “Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)”

Although this song has been made more famous through its many covers, Marvin Gaye’s original recording of the piece “Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)” stands as a testament to the struggles of institutionalized urban poverty. Gaye sings of the pain induced by corrupt government and social systems on vulnerable and oppressed populations, especially in city settings.

5. Tracy Chapman – “Behind the Wall”

The works of Tracy Chapman are some of the most hauntingly beautiful musical feats of all time. The raw passion of her work drips from every lyric, creating an emotional catharsis for the audience. “Behind the Wall” is a heart-wrenching story of domestic abuse as told from an outsider who hears the abuse take place every night, but the police refuse to interfere until it is too late. The story is heart-breaking but necessary. It sparked the discussion of domestic violence and an individual’s obligation to interfere for the health and safety of our brothers and sisters.  

Ashley is Rockford native studying Public Health, American Studies, and Urban Poverty Studies at Saint Louis University. She is a lover of dinosaur chicken nuggets, old buildings, and Sylvia Plath. Strong believer that clean water is a right, not a privilege, and that true intersectional feminism will change the world.