Wellness > Mental Health

3 Unexpected Things That Helped Me Recover From My Eating Disorder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Unfortunately, eating disorders run rampant among college students, but this is something that many of us already know. Either through firsthand experience or a friend of a friend, it seems as though everyone knows someone who has an eating disorder or is in recovery from one.

I have been in recovery from a restrictive eating disorder for the last two and a half years, and I’ve benefited significantly from all of the typical advice I’ve been given along the way. Here are some of the things that have helped me personally:

1. Don’t weigh yourself.
  2. Journal out your feelings.
  3. Speak to yourself and about your body kindly.
  4. Share your struggle with those you trust.

There is no way I would be where I am today without participating in all of those activities above, but I also understand the importance of adding to a conversation rather than simply repeating known information. For this reason, I give you three unexpected things that helped me recover from my eating disorder.

1. Body Positive TikTok Compilations on YouTube

This one is great when your energy is just not there. Youtube has many channels and videos that feature compilations of body positive TikToks, and the variety of TikToks is exceptional… see: no repeats. I initially started watching these videos just out of curiosity, but they soon became a major part of my recovery journey. Even though I was just watching a bunch of humans talk and dance, each person looked so beautiful to me. That was when I started to ask myself, “If she has big upper-arms and I think she’s stunning, why can’t I also be beautiful, big arms and all?” It was seeing all of my own traits on different people that really drove the point home: You don’t need to change your body; you just need to heal your perception of your body.

2. making A Recovery Playlist on Spotify

I highly recommend making an ED-Recovery-themed Spotify playlist. Mine has songs of all different genres and is completely incoherent, but it is a great playlist for when I need a little extra confidence or courage. Some song recommendations to get you started:

Guts Over Fear” by Eminem, Sia: For when that ice cream is looking really intimidating.

Roar” by Katy Perry: Because we all need some good 2013 energy.

I Wanna Get Better” by Bleachers: Because you wanna get better.

Way Less Sad” by AJR: For when you forget how far you’ve come.

3. Changing How I Touch My Body

This one falls closer to the category of traditional advice, but I have only ever heard it once before, so I wanted to share it. When I first started recovering, I could not imagine touching my stomach in a way that wasn’t aggressive or fueled by disgust. However, after reading an Instagram post by body positivity advocate Megan Jayne Crabbe, I decided to give it a try with a few gentle belly rubs. It sounds weird, and, let me tell you, it was. Every few days, I took a few seconds to softly touch the flesh that I hated so much, and it took a long time before it was something I was comfortable with. However, over two years later, it is a practice I highly recommend. I still struggle with my body image on some days, but it is a lot easier knowing that I can trust myself to treat my body gently. 

It’s been years since I began recovering, but I still have my days. Everyone in recovery does. But recovery is not meant to be linear; it is meant to be real. I hope that these practices help make the process a little easier, and my heart is with all of those on the journey.

Hello! I am studying to be a physical therapist with a minor in English at Saint Louis University. In my free time, I like to be in nature, work out, and journal.