3 Reasons You Need to Rock the Vote this November

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

The midterm elections are coming up this November. The political climate is more polarized than ever, and many are losing faith in the government. This combined with the fact most people don’t think their vote actually matters drives many away from the polls, especially in years when there isn’t a presidential election. Here are just a few of the many reasons you need to cast your ballot this November.

1.Your Age

According to the US Census Bureau, voters ages 18-29 make up roughly 20% of the voting population. Despite being a major subset of the voting population, youth voters are the least likely to show up on election day. Politicians pay attention to who votes for them and cater their platforms to their needs in an effort to get reelected. In order for politicians to pay more attention to the issues youth voters care about, more youth voters (that’s you) need to exercise their right to vote. Also, get in the habit of voting now so you’ll continue to vote down the road.

2. The Government Impacts Your Life (Whether You Realize it or Not)

Do you have student loans to pay after college? Do you like clean air and water? Do you like getting mail? Do you like civil liberties? Do you want a job and good employee benefits? Do you want your kids to get a good education? If you answered “yes” to any of the previous questions, then you’ve felt some of the effects of government. Many things now and in your future will be affected by government policies, so go out, vote, and have a say in those decisions.

3. It’s Your Duty as an American

Democracy, in order to be healthy, relies on active participation. That means you need to get informed and voice your opinions. With constant access to the internet, it’s easier than ever to get informed on current political issues and candidates running for elections in your area. Some helpful tools to transform yourself into an informed voter are iCitizen, Countable, and ballotpedia. If you aren’t sure if you’re registered or who will be on your ballot this November, check out vote.org or Vote 411. There are countless resources out there for you to utilize, so you have no reason not to be an informed voter!

No matter who you vote for, make sure you vote!

Hey! I'm a sophomore at SLU studying Theatre and Communication with a minor in film. I'm a lover of iced coffee, politics, buzzfeed unsolved, dying my hair, Texas (especially Houston), and supporting local artists. Go see a play and rock the vote!
Sarah is the Editor-in-Chief and Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Saint Louis University. She is a Junior studying English and American Studies with a primary interest in 20th-Century and Contemporary American Literature, particularly semi-autobiographical fiction and novels that celebrate diversity within the fabric of American society and culture. Sarah is originally from Minneapolis, MN (and will talk your ear off about it) and loves all things literature, intersectional feminisim, travel, food, and politics. Ask her for recommendations for exciting new novels or local restaurants, and she will gladly oblige!