This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

The drama full of crime and dark comedy that is “Breaking Bad” has captivated audiences since its release in 2008 and has accumulated a multitude of fans who consider it to be the greatest television show of all time. The story follows Walter White, a high school chemistry teacher, who is currently working two jobs to prepare for an unexpected child with his wife, Skyler. Walter is then diagnosed with lung cancer and worries about how he will pay for treatment. When his brother-in-law, a Drug Enforcement Administration agent, brings up the drug businesses and methamphetamine epidemic in New Mexico, Walter is shocked by the money that can be made from that line of work. With his significant knowledge of chemistry, Walter settles on cooking and selling meth with one of his past students, Jesse Pinkman. His product becomes sought-after in New Mexico and its bordering states, pulling him deeper into the dirty business of drug dealing. 

I had heard about the success of “Breaking Bad” and seen countless references on social media, but I never understood them because I truly thought the show would not appeal to me. My good friend Claire Kleffner, a student at Saint Louis University, who has re-watched “Breaking Bad” five different times, persuaded me. I am now hooked. I asked Claire a series of questions about her favorite show, and she started off strong by saying, “I could write a novel about ‘Breaking Bad.’”

Since the television series is known as one of the best of all time, I asked Claire why she thinks it is deserving of such a strong statement. She says, “There is so much detail written into the plot,” and she “discover[s] something new about the show each time.” Claire also noted that one of the most interesting and pivotal moments of “Breaking Bad” is when things start to fall apart and Walter starts to “break bad.” Regarding the character who evolves the most throughout the five seasons, Claire says, “Walter, definitely. He is where we get the title of the show from, as he literally ‘breaks bad.’ He starts off as an innocent family man and makes a variety of vast bad decisions that ultimately lead him to his downfall. He realizes how good he is at what he does, takes advantage of it, and uses his power to move up in the drug business, making it harder and harder for him to quit.”

Every character in “Breaking Bad” has many complex qualities and lives that may cause viewers to sympathize with them and hope they prevail at the end of the show. The characters are extremely well-written, especially Claire’s favorite, Gustavo Fring. She states, “He is probably one of the most evil characters on the show, however, he is my favorite because his character was the best written by Vince Gilligan. I would say he could go down as one of the best villains in cinema; he displays such a complex personality as he is such a put-together man but also has a dark side.” Contrastingly, Claire’s least favorite character is Skyler White, but I do not want to give away any spoilers. Suffice to say, as Claire puts it, “She’s overall selfish…[and] further caus[es] more disaster, she’s almost just as bad as Walt.”

Claire is studying psychology at Saint Louis University, and her interest and knowledge of psychology have allowed her to dig deeper and analyze “Breaking Bad.” She notes that the show “displays psychological factors such as narcissism and power addiction.” Walt sees the popularity of his product and the power he has gained in the drug business, and he cannot get enough of it. Claire looks back at the time when Walter speaks with Jesse about the money they were making, who tries to get him to take his share and stop cooking. But, Walter “assures him that they should not throw away the talent and power they have and settle for an amount that could be a lot less than what they could potentially make. He argues, if you have the ability to gain more power, why settle for less?”

I could not recommend “Breaking Bad” more, and Claire agrees. She says, “It is so complex, making you feel a range of emotions that will have you keep clicking [to the] next episode.” The show also leaves viewers with a lot to learn and many takeaways. Both Claire and I have realized how difficult it is to escape the drug business once one has entered it. Although Walter started cooking to support his family, he takes advantage of his power and uses it unwisely. After re-watching the show multiple times, Claire was taught “how important family is, and making immoral decisions to benefit them doesn’t mean you love them.”

Hi! My name is Lucy Emory and I'm from Kansas City, MO! I love to sing, dance, read Harry Potter and learn random history facts. I am also a self-proclaimed Taylor Swift and Lana Del Rey enthusiast. I'm so happy to be writing for such a welcoming and empowering community!