10 Halloween Movies that Pass the Bechdel Test

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

The Bechdel Test was popularized by Alison Bechdel in her comic Dykes to Watch Out For. It names the following three criteria:

1. The work of fiction has to have at least two named women in it who  

2. Talk to each other

3. About something other than a man.

If it meets all three criteria it passes. This test doesn’t constitute a movie as feminist or not feminist, but is merely a tool to look at how female characters interact in movies. So if you’re looking for spooky movies with significant female representation, then look no further.

1. The Addams Family (1991)

This 1991 movie depicts the creepy, kooky Addams family in a full-length feature film. Their macabre ways are sure to get you in the Halloween mood. This film has plenty of named female characters who do talk about things like charity balls and Wednesday’s love of the gothic, meaning it passes the bechdel test.

2. Beetlejuice (1988)

A dead husband and wife get the help of a bizarre demon to drive a new family out of their home, but this demon has more planned than just helping. This cult classic passes the bechdel test with multiple conversations among women covering things other than men.

3. Casper (1995)

The friendly ghost comes to life in this live-action/CGI comedy. When the female characters talk in this movie, it’s mostly about a treasure, not a boy, meaning Casper passes with flying colors.

4. Coraline (2009)

After moving into a new home, an 11-year-old girl finds a door leading to a strangely idealized version of her own home, but it’s not without its sinister secrets. This may not be considered a traditional Halloween movie, but it’s dark and creepy enough to get you in the spirit of Halloween. This film is so full of significant female characters, it doesn’t pass the reverse bechdel test meaning you’ll get your fill of women representation. 

(It’s also on Netflix, so you can watch for free if you have a subscription!)

5. The Exorcist (1973)

Get into the spooky mood by watching one of the scariest horror movies of all time. It’s even more unnerving since one of the exorcisms that inspired this film took place right here on SLU’s campus. Throughout the film, Regan and her mom Chris are too busy talking about Regan’s possession to talk about boys, meaning this one passes the Bechdel test.

6. Halloween (1978)

Watch the infamous Michael Myers’ film debut in this classic American slasher film. If you haven’t seen it yet, now is the time since the franchise has released another movie by the same name this year for its 40th anniversary. Despite having multiple female leads, most of their conversations amongst themselves revolve around men. However, the few times the girls discuss school are just enough dialogue for Halloween to pass.

7. Halloweentown (1998)

The first installment of the Halloweentown franchise is a must-see every October. In addition to giving you a dose of Halloween spirit, this film will also bring you back to your trick-or-treating days. Halloweentown is bursting at the seams with strong female roles who run the story without always mentioning men.

8. Hocus Pocus (1993)

This spooky comedy cult classic follows three witch sisters after they are accidently resurrected by a boy in Salem, Massachusetts. The three witches talk about a myriad of things like casting spells and eating children. If you’re looking for a fun, spoopy evening, then this is the flick for you.

9. It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966)

Snuggle up with some cider and candy corn to watch this cartoon classic. What’s a holiday without a Charlie Brown special? This is sure to put you in the wholesome Halloween mood while also featuring significant female characters!

Watch it here for free!

10. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

The first flick in the horror franchise features the haunting Freddy Krueger. The clawed killer preys on teenagers in their sleep. This classic slasher film is sure to have you sleeping with the lights on for days. It has three main women who have various conversations about things like school and lack of sleep, neither of which includes the mention of men.

Hey! I'm a sophomore at SLU studying Theatre and Communication with a minor in film. I'm a lover of iced coffee, politics, buzzfeed unsolved, dying my hair, Texas (especially Houston), and supporting local artists. Go see a play and rock the vote!