Winter Skincare Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

The rosy color on cheeks from the cold may be cute, but once you’re back indoors, your nose is red and running, you’re sweating, and you are reminded why you dislike winter weather so much. Between indoor heating and chilly outdoor temperatures, skin can dry out and leave your face and body cracking and flakey. Although your spring vacation to the tropics may be a few months away, there is still hope in combating dryness and achieving a winter weather glow.  

Avoid Scalding Hot Showers

It may feel nice to get into a scalding hot shower at the end of a long winter day, but hot water breaks down the lipid barriers of the skin, zapping it of moisture. Taking less-than-five-minute lukewarm showers, and avoiding the use of harsh soaps is your best bet during this time of year. Immediately after showering, pat yourself dry with a towel and moisturize while skin’s still damp to help lotion better absorb into the skin while pores are open.  

Moisturize More Often
In the winter, you should switch to a thicker lotion and apply it more often—after bathing and before bed—in order to replenish lost moisture.

Wear Gloves
The skin on your hands is especially thin, and between frequent hand washing and exposure to freezing temperatures, your hands are the most susceptible to becoming dry and cracked. Wearing gloves outside is a simple way to help ward off the affects of brutal winter elements. Before going to bed, you can try using a heavier cream and wearing white cotton gloves to lock in moisture.

Exfoliate
Exfoliate 2-3 times per week to stimulate circulation and shed away layers of dead skin and to reveal radiant skin underneath. Exfoliating more than that, however, can make skin raw and extra irritated.

Lip Care
Harsh temperatures can make lips chapped instantly, leaving you with stinging lips and a clown-like red smile. Make sure to carry lip balm with you at all times, and reapply often. At night, try slathering on a heavier ointment such as Aquaphor or petroleum jelly, and wake up with soothed lips. Exfoliating is also a great way to relieve cracked lips. You can even make your own exfoliator by mixing brown sugar and orange juice and gently rubbing it onto your lips with a toothbrush.

Diet

Along with heavy night creams, soap-free facial cleansers, and gentle exfoliators, eating a healthy balanced diet is essential for keeping your body hydrated and achieving a healthy glow during the winter. Drinking a lot of water and choosing high water content fruits and vegetables will nourish your body and skin. Foods rich in Vitamin A, such as leafy greens, sweet potatoes, and carrots, help repair damaged skin and sooth dryness. Getting enough fatty acids in your diet is also key for maintaining healthy skin. Salmon, avocado, walnuts, and flax seed are all rich in omega-3 fatty acids and help keep skin looking firm and fresh by supporting healthy skin cell membranes.

Take these tips to heart to get healthy glowing skin in no time!

As the Senior Designer, Kelsey is responsible for the conceptualization and design of solutions that support and strengthen Her Campus on all levels. While managing junior designers, Kelsey manages and oversees the creative needs of Her Campus’s 260+ chapters nationwide and abroad. Passionate about campaign ideation and finding innovative design solutions for brands, Kelsey works closely with the client services team to develop integrated marketing and native advertising campaigns for Her Campus clients such as Macy’s, UGG, Merck, Amtrak, Intel, TRESemmé and more. A 2012 college graduate, Kelsey passionately pursued English Literature, Creative Writing and Studio Art at Skidmore College. Born in and native to Massachusetts, Kelsey supplements creative jewelry design and metal smithing with a passion for fitness and Boston Bruins hockey. Follow her on Twitter: @kelsey_thornFollow her on Instagram: @kelsey_thorn