What Seniors Miss Most

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

It’s that time of year when seniors are most sentimental. Looking back on their four years, we asked some seniors to tell us the things they miss most about being underclassmen.

Care Packages

Remember freshman year when mom and dad sent a package with your favorite candy, some new nail polish and a few things you accidentally left at home? Or that thrill of getting a package you weren’t expecting? The only unexpected mail you get now is an L.L. Bean catalogue that you didn’t sign up for.

Old Scribner

It was a dump. It was like a dump that had been rotting since the ‘60s. But it was our dump. Scribner gave its inhabitants (both human and animal) the freedom to feel unattached. And when all rules were thrown out the window, the creative student body of Skidmore threw down. We nourished the carpets with more jungle juice than we’re proud to admit and left our mark in the legacy of legendary Scribner parties. We’ll miss you Scribner, but also, not that much.

D-Hall

After the first semester freshman year, we had nothing but complaints for D-Hall. But since we’ve had to suffer the same bland homemade meals, expensive take-out and endless dishes, we’ve accrued serious respect. From the disgusting conveyor belt of dirty dishes that magically whisked away cleaning cares, to theme dinners, to the dessert counter (magic bars, anyone?), the Spa just can’t compare. Dare we admit that we’re even a little nostalgic for red side/blue side?

Dorm Life

Let us preface with this: apartment life overwhelmingly beats living in a dorm. However, there are a few aspects we sorely miss. Having a cleaning staff, parking on campus and filling a huge closet with brand new Piper outfits perfect for sundress day are among our lazier, more materialistic wishes, but we also miss hall meetings, eating every meal with friends, and watching the campus come to life from our windows.

A Bright, Open Future

Someday we will be old, settled into our lives, predictable and stuck in our ways. And sometimes, that “someday” feels like today. Looking back to freshman and sophomore year, graduation seemed far away. We still had so many people to meet, weekends to party, classes to take and time to take it all in. Then somewhere between our sophomore slump and study abroad, we landed at second semester senior year in a panic. What seniors miss most is that exhilarating and anxious feeling of coming to college for the first time, when Skidmore still feels like summer camp and job-searching is a misty, distant concern.

To the underclassmen: cherish every one of these “most missed” moments while you can, because they will disappear as soon as you upgrade out of the dorms. To the upperclassmen, let’s honor these four years of friends, memories, and education with the baddest senior week yet!

Audrey is a class of 2013 English major at Skidmore College. She has held several communications internships in her hometown of Nashville, TN, including ones at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, Nissan's North American Headquarters, and at Katcher Vaughn and Bailey Public Relations. In her free time, she loves to bake for family and friends, exercise by swimming, and loves all things Parisian. Audrey can't wait to continue her journalism experience with Her Campus as a campus correspondent. Having lived in Nashville, France and New York, Audrey has found a love for travel, and hopes to discover a new city after Skidmore where she plans to continue onto law school.
Kate is the Associate Editor of Her Campus. Before joining the staff full-time, Kate was the Campus Correspondent for the HC Skidmore College chapter as well as an editorial intern, Love editor, and national contributing writer for HC. In addition to her work with Her Campus, Kate has been a Sex & Love stringer and digital editorial intern for WomensHealthMag.com and an Inner Circle Trendspotter for MTV. Kate graduated from Skidmore College summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa with a Bachelor of Arts in English and French. In her spare time, Kate is usually spotted writing fiction, playing tennis, reading pop culture blogs until her eyes hurt, baking cookies, or dreaming up her next travel adventure.