Surviving the Winter in Upstate New York

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

For those who come from warm climates, the transition to winter in Saratoga Springs may be a new experience. However, it need not be one of suffering. Follow these top tips for the best experience of the time of year.

Wear an appropriate coat: While it seems obvious to wear a coat, the type of coat chosen can make a major difference. During the initial stretch of cold (October-November), a relatively light jacket may suffice; but as it continues to grow colder a heavier coat will become necessary. Seek parkas made of waterproof materials to keep dry and warm even in snow. For those who cannot afford a new coat, try visiting the Skidmore Exchange Closet in Case Center.

Wear appropriate gloves: When it is not snowing, gloves made of simple fabrics may suffice to keep one’s hands warm. However, upon encountering snow, these will often not be water resistant and wet gloves may be worse than no gloves. Thus, it is best to have gloves that are waterproof, with a nonporous outer layer.

Wear a hat: The prior consideration is less important with respect to hats, as one rarely places their head in the snow as one might with their hands. However, a thick hat will go far in keeping one warm.

Long underwear: While rarer than coats, hats, and gloves, when the temperature is extremely cold long underwear is a wonderful way to keep warm. Look for a skin-tight but not uncomfortable fit, and a soft material for maximum comfort. This is also helpful when it is cold at night, as it can be worn under pajamas as well. While less effective, leggings or tights may also help in a pinch.

Bedcovering: For keeping warm on winter nights, flannel top and fitted sheets may trap more heat and feel less cold to the touch than regular sheets. Additionally, extra blankets will help to trap heat. In a pinch, one can also use thick clothes to form an extra layer atop the bed to stay warm. If you have one, a comforter or duvet is also very useful.

Hand warmers: These are sold in stores during the winter months and once activated can be placed inside gloves or clothing to help keep one warm. Despite the name, they are not limited to use in the hand, and some are reusable (but usually require boiling water to reactivate, thus making them only useful if you have a kitchen).

Winter car ownership: A few simple tools can make wintertime car ownership much more enjoyable. A snow shovel is cheap and effective in digging out one’s car from large snowdrifts. In addition, a combination ice scraper/brush can be obtained at most auto part stores and easily stored in the trunk or passenger compartment of one’s car to help clear off smaller piles of snow and accumulations of ice on the windows and windshield.

Winter car safety: Never drive with snow or ice obscuring the view, always remove it first. Remember to also remove snow from the roof, as otherwise it may fall off and create a road safety hazard or obscure your view. Additionally, when starting a car in cold weather, wait a few moments after starting for the engine to warm up before driving. If your car does not immediately start, do not crank the engine for more than 10 seconds straight, and if you must try multiple times, wait 30-60 seconds between attempts to avoid damaging the starter. Of course, also exercise good judgement in whether it is safe to drive considering road conditions (roads can be icy even if the temperature is above freezing and some roads may not be plowed/salted often), your experience as a driver in winter conditions, and your car’s traction abilities (all-wheel drive is safest on snow and ice, all-season or winter tires can improve traction).

I am a senior at Skidmore College pursuing a double major in mathematics and computer science with a minor in physics. After graduation, I plan to get a PhD in mathematics, and am particularly interested in abstract algebras and topology. At Skidmore, I have been an active member of Pi Mu Epsilon, Sigma Pi Sigma, and the Periclean Honors Forum, as well as working as a Peer Academic Coach and tutor in mathematics. Outside of academics, I have also written on a variety of topics for several student-run on-campus publications including Skidmore News, Lunchbox, and BARE; as well as a guest post for the Mathematical Association of America. In addition to my mathematical research foci, I am interested in politics, human sexuality, linguistics, and cooking.