Sanida Lukovic: Student, Volunteer & Leader

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

One of the reasons we chose Skidmore is because of the diversity of opportunities available in classes, extracurriculars and in the community. Senior, Sanida Lukovic represents that exact student lifestyle with a hectic schedule to prove it. Few people know that when she’s not conducting chemical reactions in the chemistry lab, Sanida is volunteering at Saratoga Springs Hospital, baking cakes for her Spanish Literature and Food course, and representing the Chemistry department on Academic Council. As she rarely has a minute to spare each day, I was lucky to get a chance to sit down with her and learn more about what she does at Skidmore and in the community.

HC: You are a double major in Chemistry with a Biochemistry concentration and Spanish. Did you come to Skidmore knowing what you wanted to study?
Sanida: I’ve always liked the natural sciences and foreign languages, and when I got to Skidmore, I told myself I would explore different areas of study. So, during the first semester of my freshman year, I branched out. I took classes in the English, Art History, Philosophy, History, Dance and Sociology departments and while I truly enjoyed all of them, Chemistry and Spanish just drew me in. Now, four years later, there’s no turning back.

HC: Can you tell us more about the work you’ve done in lab?
SL: Well, the most exciting thing I did this past semester was a collaborative-research project with Dr. Sheppard from the Chemistry department. We were looking at how a particular amino acid, asparagine, is attached to its correct tRNA. There seems to be two pathways in Bacillus halodurans, so we were trying to figure out why the second evolved. Hopefully, our results can explain how any why an important enzyme, a discriminating aminoacyl synthetase, came about in the bacterial lineage.

HC: You also volunteer at the Emergency Department of Saratoga Hospital once a week. What’s that like?
SL: It’s a great experience because I’m exposed to the hectic nature of emergency medicine, which is both exciting and stressful. My position is not well defined so I really get out of it what I put in. I love talking to patients, helping alleviate some of their anxiety, and comforting worried families. I originally started working at the hospital because I wanted to get more clinical experience to help me decide if I really wanted to pursue medicine, but now I do it because I truly enjoy helping medical staff and patients in any way that I can.

HC: What do you find most rewarding in the work you do?
SL: The best part is working independently in the lab and using the scientific method I’ve been taught since high school chemistry courses to reach different stages of my project and overcome challenges that crop up. I also love being able to share my findings with fellow lab-mates, classmates and faculty. I feel like I’m really applying the knowledge I’ve gained over the past four years and making an important contribution to the scientific community.

HC: To top off your schedule, you’re also a student representative on Academic Council. What are some of your responsibilities there?
SL: Basically, my role is to help create transparency in the Chemistry department by facilitating open conversation between students and faculty. I am very grateful to my department for all the opportunities it has granted me so I thought it would be a good way to give back. My ultimate goal is to make the Chemistry community as strong and cohesive as possible.

HC: What are your post-graduation plans?
SL: Right now, I am studying for the MCAT and looking at MD programs in the Northeast. I’d like to become an oncologist because I think the biochemical pathways involved in cancer metastasis are fascinating. It would be great to work at a university hospital because I’d get to treat patients in the clinic and do research at the same time. The Spanish major would come in handy when dealing with patients who struggle with English, in order to preserve the intimacy of patient-doctor interactions.

Sanida shows us just why we love Skidmore and is a great role model for us collegiettes balancing an equally challenging schedule. Do you have a friend worthy of a Campus Celebrity feature? Email audreynelson@hercampus.com with nominations.

Audrey is a class of 2013 English major at Skidmore College. She has held several communications internships in her hometown of Nashville, TN, including ones at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, Nissan's North American Headquarters, and at Katcher Vaughn and Bailey Public Relations. In her free time, she loves to bake for family and friends, exercise by swimming, and loves all things Parisian. Audrey can't wait to continue her journalism experience with Her Campus as a campus correspondent. Having lived in Nashville, France and New York, Audrey has found a love for travel, and hopes to discover a new city after Skidmore where she plans to continue onto law school.