My Strange Addiction: Health Food

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

I’ve always been super into the latest health crazes. I love kale, take 7 different supplements a day, and consider Whole Foods a holy place. I can often be found venting to my nutritionist about the lack of antioxidant-rich foods at the dining hall and if I have a headache, I reach for my water bottle instead of the Advil. Even I can admit that this passion for health is a little absurd. I am not a certified health expert by any means but I am wildly susceptible to killer advertising and anything that can guarantee softer skin, higher energy levels, or brighter scleras (the white part of your eye), will end up in my shopping cart. That being said, I do believe there are some tried and true must-haves that do have some tangible benefits that I have seen with my own eyes. Below I’ve listed a few of my favorite products with links for others to try!

Collagen Booster

These (vegan/vegetarian) supplements promote collagen production which creates soft and plump skin, longer and thicker hair and strong nails. Some collagen supplements are not vegan/vegetarian because they contain gelatin (a protein that comes from boiling animal skin, tendons, ligaments, and bones with water). For an animal rights activist that is determined to find a way to boost her/his own collagen production, this product does the job!

Find it on Amazon here

Reishi

Reishi is an adaptogen (natural substance that helps the body adapt to stress and aid in revitalizing normal bodily processes) that is often called the “Divine Mushroom of Immortality.” You can get Reishi in a variety of specialty lattes at places like Moon Juice and Cafe Gratitude, in drinks like the Reishi chocolate milk made by Rebbl, or in elixirs like the one I’ve linked below. Reishi has calming effects by lowering cortisol levels and improves sleep quality.

Find it on Amazon here

Turmeric

Turmeric is a spice often used in many Asian cuisines. Not only is it delicious in soups and curries, but it is SUPER good for you. Turmeric is high in antioxidants, reduces inflammation, and reduces risk of chronic diseases. Like Reishi, you can find Turmeric in specialty lattes and in supplement form. Below I’ve linked an organic turmeric supplement that you can take to obtain all the benefits of the superfood without any of the trouble.

Find it on Amazon here

Emma Bernstein

Skidmore '19

Senior polisci major with a passion for matcha, Cristiano Ronaldo, late-night political comedy, and bucket hats.