Movie Review: Marvel’s “Doctor Strange”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

My love for Benedict Cumberbatch was cemented after I saw his phenomenal performance in The Imitation Game. On a much lighter note, his performance in Doctor Strange was still top-notch and reminded me why I love the quirky, charming, and witty British actor.

Doctor Strange is an updated adaptation of Steven Ditko and Stan Lee’s classic comic about arrogant, world-renowned surgeon Dr. Stephen Strange, after a tragic car accident permanently injures his hands–effectively ending his medical career. Strange (Cumberbatch) seeks all kinds of remedies and treatments to regain use of his hands, and when Western medicine fails him, ends up in Nepal at a monastery, Kamar-Taj, that focuses on harnessing the full power of the mind to remedy the body. Here is where the plot diverges from other classic Marvel superhero stories: it is not solely about brute strength; Stephen has to engage his mind and suspend his current belief system, which, as a doctor, he has tremendous difficulty doing in order to succeed at Kamar-Taj. He is tested in ways other Marvel superheroes are not, and learns more about himself and the world because of his dually physical and spiritual approach to herodom. The Ancient One–one of Tilda Swinton’s most fun performances to date–acts as his guru through the Mystic Arts. As the plot thickens, her involvement in Strange’s life and her ultimate goals become muddled, but Stephen’s character continues to take center stage as he excels. Kamar-Taj is filled with fun and intelligent characters (Chiwetel Ejiofor, The Ancient One’s right hand, and Benedict Wong, the Beyonce-loving keeper of books) that constantly challenge and push Strange to break away from his own arrogance in pursuit of a higher truth and calling.

Doctor Strange touches on elements of existence that have not been explicitly addressed in the Marvel Comic Universe so far, most notably mysticism and traditions of the Far East dating back thousands of years. This theme paved the way for the most incredible and exciting visual effects I have seen in a Marvel movie. The Mystic Arts enable the characters to physically alter the material world–changing the direction of walls and ceilings, giving energy a lightening-like visual form, and exploring the vast layers of the multiverse they believe Earth exists within. The visual aspect of this film was immensely enjoyable–complete with bright colors and constantly adapting patterns–and added to its other-worldly preoccupations.

As the film progresses and Strange quickly masters aspects of the Mystic arts, the trope of the villain is introduced. The villains in the movie, led by fallen disciple Kaecilius, who are on a quest to merge Earth with a dark world that exists beyond time, look like Snapchat filters IRL, so that was pretty cool.

(Left: real person in glittery-eyed snapchat filer. Right: evil villain Kaecilius).

An unexpected appearance by Rachel McAdams as Strange’s off and on-again love interest as well as the audience’s only remaining solid link to the “real world” was refreshing and exciting for fans of the actress. The hint at other Marvel collaborations after the credits rolled was the perfect hook to get Strange fans excited for the character’s future in film. 

The mix of traditional superhero success, mystical magic reminiscent of Harry Potter in some ways, beautiful, kaleidoscopic visual effects, and awesome acting make Doctor Strange a must-see.

English Major and Business Minor at Skidmore College and new Co-CC of Skidmore HC. Spends free time hanging out with friends, taking yoga classes and dancing, and admittedly binge-watching her favorite Netflix shows.