Long Distance Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Those of us in long-distance relationships know how tough it can be around Valentine’s Day, especially when every couple decides that D-hall and Case are the perfect places to snuggle up and canoodle. But just because you and your beau are apart doesn’t mean the holiday is lost. Just follow these five tips to keep the romantic holiday alive no matter what the distance.

1. Snail Mail. There’s still nothing more charming than getting a real, traditional letter in the mail, especially when it’s a Valentine’s card. Plan for both of you to send each other sweet, thoughtful cards so you get the thrill of receiving a letter and can carry it around with you all day.

2. Skype Date. You may not be able to go to a fancy restaurant, but you can still have a Skype date. Get dressed up and set a time for you to talk for an hour or two. If you’re really feeling creative, bring a snack and pretend you’re out to dinner!

3. Plan a Visit. If you can, try scheduling a visit around Valentine’s Day, or if that’s not possible, start planning what you’ll do together over Spring Break. Having something to look forward to is key to keeping your spirits up.

4. Have a Photo. Carry around a picture of your beau with you or make one of you two the background on your phone to remind you of how much fun you have when you’re together. That way, whenever you start to feel a bit lonely, you can look down and have a reason to smile.

5. Together in Spirit. We would never recommend burying your head in your phone, but staying in regular contact on Valentine’s Day can make a big difference. Send each other sweet pictures throughout the day and simple “I love you” texts—you may already know you’re in love, but it always feels nice to be reminded.

We know long-distance can be tough, whether you’re abroad or at different schools, especially on Valentine’s Day. But even when you can’t be together, you can still celebrate the holiday with your special someone. Happy Valentine’s Day, collegiettes!

Remy Marin

Skidmore '15

Remy is an English major and dance minor at Skidmore College. In addition to being CC, Remy is the VP of Outreach of Skidmore's peer mediation group and apprentice for Mediation Matters in Saratoga Springs.
Audrey is a class of 2013 English major at Skidmore College. She has held several communications internships in her hometown of Nashville, TN, including ones at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, Nissan's North American Headquarters, and at Katcher Vaughn and Bailey Public Relations. In her free time, she loves to bake for family and friends, exercise by swimming, and loves all things Parisian. Audrey can't wait to continue her journalism experience with Her Campus as a campus correspondent. Having lived in Nashville, France and New York, Audrey has found a love for travel, and hopes to discover a new city after Skidmore where she plans to continue onto law school.