Local Sound: HC’s Scoop on Skidmore Bands!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

The best part of going to a school where creativity is encouraged is that students form some awesome bands as early as freshman year. We’ve all heard CTM more than once during our Skidmore careers, but these guys (and gals!) really put the motto to work! Here’s the scoop on a few of Skidmore’s most popular and rockin’ bands.

Los Elk

Members: Amir Rivera-Lieberman (Guitar/Vocals), Noah Ross (Guitar/Backing Vocals), Ryan Bondell (Drums/Percussion), Hal DeGroat (Bass)

Genre: Indie Dance Rock

How You Know Them: Los Elk, briefly known as Helix, got their start playing at 2011’s Beatlemania concert.  They have played at Zankel, Falstaff’s, Case Center, East Ave, and Northwoods Village.

Where To Find Them: You can check out Los Elk’s pages on Facebook and YouTube and you can also hear them live this summer at the Saratoga Arts Festival. Keep a look out for their newest single, “Eye Contact,” which they just recorded at Zankel’s Grossman Studio!

How did your band get started?
Ryan: Well Noah and I were in a band in high school together in Manhattan, he played bass and I played drums. Once we started attending Skidmore we met up with Amir through our pre-or and started jamming for fun. While a trio, Noah was on bass. The three of us played around for a few weeks and had our first performance at 2011’s Beatlemania. For those two shows we were known as Helix. We eventually met Hal and knew right away that we had found our bassist. 

What has been your favorite performance so far?
Ryan: Favorite performance was definitely opening up for Rubblebucket. The sound was great, and the energy was amazing. Falstaff’s was packed front to back with people just enjoying themselves. There is no greater thrill than that. We were all fans of Rubblebucket before the show, so it was great to meet them and share the stage.

What inspires you guys?
Ryan: Our biggest inspiration is the crowd. When we see people dancing or vibing to the things that we’ve created, there is no comparable experience. We rehearse six to nine hours a week so that we can be tight and perform to the best of our abilities. The payoff comes directly from anyone who appreciates the music!

What’s your favorite spot in Saratoga Springs?
Ryan: I can only speak for Noah and myself when I say Uncommon Grounds on Broadway. After a long week, breakfast and coffee at Uncommon is the perfect end to the week. It’s tradition at this point. Highly recommended to anyone looking for fresh coffee and warm bagels!

Bailiwick

Members: Brett Hartman (Guitar, Mandolin, Ukulele), Ned Porter (Guitar, Glockenspiel), Colin Manjoney (Banjo, Ukulele, Mandolin, 12-String Guitar, Glocky), Jane Esterquest (Violin), Stephen Yell (Drums, Percussion)

Genre: Folk, Acoustic

How You Know Them: Since it was founded in April 2010, Bailiwick has played at Lively Lucy’s, Beatlemania, Café Lena, Saratoga Springs Farmer’s Market, art galleries, WEXT 97.7 Falstaff’s, and a venue called Way Yes in Troy. They’re a fun and quirky group of musicians who use a variety of cool instruments.

Where To Find Them: Bailiwick is temporarily inactive due to its members studying abroad, but they will be back and ready to rock in the fall at Skidmore as well as Albany and Boston! You can check out their Facebook page, or listen to their album on their website.

How did your band get started?
Ned: It really started when everyone was in that overly outgoing mood that you often get with orientation. I don’t remember exactly how we all started playing together, but Jane and I were the first to collaborate with the intention of forming a group. I had been playing with Colin and Brett throughout orientation, so we invited them on stage for one song while Jane and I were playing the Harvest Festival. People liked what we had going, so we continued to play.

Ned: We have had a lot of great experiences, but one concert really sticks out for me. We invited Evan Becker, a high school friend of mine, to play bass with us. It was one of the first times we played with Stephen Yell as our drummer and it felt absolutely amazing. More than anything, I usually judge a great performance by the feeling from the crowd, and we had one of the best crowd responses I have ever experienced that night.
Jane: My favorite performance was also the one where Evan and Stephen played. Good times were had. 

What inspires you all? 
Colin: Holding hands.

Colin: Weird orange thing, which refers to the hill of calcified salts at the state park. It is such a weird orange thing.
[pagebreak]

Punch Drunk Monkeys

Members: Will Kencel (Bass, Vocals), Wilson Gibbons (Drums, Vocals), Matt Gaydar (Guitar, Vocals), Dillion Morris (Guitar), Emily L’Italien (Keyboards)

Genre: Punk, Pop, Funk

How You Know Them: Punch Drunk Monkeys debuted at Fun Day 2011, and have been broadcasting their bold, energetic and experimental sound ever since. They’ve played on the quad, as well as at Falstaff’s, the Spa, Lively Lucy’s and at the Winter Carnival.

Where To Find Them: You can check out their Facebook page for information about upcoming events and videos. You also may have heard them live at Fun Day 2012!

How did your band get started?
Wilson: Will and I met in small jazz after Will got back from his freshman semester in London. We then brought in guitarist Matt Gaydar after Will Kencel started playing in a brief side project. We later added a sophomore, Emily L’Italien, on synth to help fill out our sound. Our first gig was Fun Day last year. Emily then went to Paris so we added Dillion Morris, on lead guitar for the semester. He was such an incredible guitarist that we decided to keep him in the band along with Emily L’Italien after she got back from Paris.

Will: During a weekend double bill with Beardo, a dynamic groove machine, our resident bass slapper dressed up in a pirate robot costume and set the tone for an intimate high-energy show. Our debut show, the Fun Day show, was something we can never forget the adrenaline was off the charts, it flew by before we even really knew what happened. 

What inspires you guys? 
Wilson: The inspiration comes from the collective creative mojo that emerges from our band exploring music with one another. Another source of inspiration our unique members, our songs are hybrids because we all have different tastes and talents.

Will: The Small Jazz Room, something about that room has been good to our band. It’s birthed some of our most inspired and energetic pieces.

Skinny White Folk

Members: Peter Oundjian (Acoustic Guitar, Vocals), Elliot Daniels (Bass Guitar, Vocals)
Genre: Folk

How You Know Them: One of Skidmore’s newest bands, Skinny White Folk has played in Northwoods, Falstaff’s, and Lively Lucy’s. But don’t write them off for their small size! Peter and Elliot make an endearing pair with an equally delightful sound.

Where To Find Them: You can check out their Facebook page to find information about upcoming performances as well as videos of their music.
[pagebreak]

Slim Charles

Members: Alex Jarvis (Drums), Ken Siu (Bass), Ben Mickelson (Guitar), and Dominic Green (Guitar/Vocals)

Genre: Rock, Indie, Funk, Crunk

How You Know Them: One of the longest-running bands, Slim Charles has been rocking Skidmore since 2009. They have played all over campus, including Falstaff’s, Case Center and Lively Lucy’s, and most recently played at the concert in Northwoods.  Slim Charles blends together a number of different genres and music styles to create a very unique sound.

Where To Find Them: You can check out their Facebook page or website to find information about upcoming performances as well as listen to their first EP, Versus Fatso Jr. Though some members have graduated, you can hear them live at venues all over Saratoga Springs, Brooklyn and Manhattan.

Yo Soy Milk

Members: Johnny Murphy (Bass/Vocals), Jon Lemay (Guitar), Seamus Gildner (Drums)

Genre: Rock/Punk

How You Know Them: Yo Soy Milk has played at Falstaff’s and Case Center, most recently at Fight Club’s Feel Good Party. They’re just getting started, but look out for new covers and even originals coming out soon!

Where To Find Them: You can check out Yo Soy Milk’s Facebook page or website. You also may have seen them live at the Tang Party last Friday!           

You swoon over their drummers, you rock to their covers of Shout! in Northwoods à la Animal House, and you still talk about their Beatlemania performances—they’re your friends, your classmates, and your favorite Skidmore bands. Show some love to these musicians the next time you’re having the Friday night of your life!

Photo Sources:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.363774760318498.101774.306031166092858&type=3
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.217801028316498.49121.19076470…
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.111253425561439.11865.111251855561596&type=3
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=354791364556691&set=a.3360445797…
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.142841492394885.25770.136956032983431&type=3

Remy Marin

Skidmore '15

Remy is an English major and dance minor at Skidmore College. In addition to being CC, Remy is the VP of Outreach of Skidmore's peer mediation group and apprentice for Mediation Matters in Saratoga Springs.
As the Senior Designer, Kelsey is responsible for the conceptualization and design of solutions that support and strengthen Her Campus on all levels. While managing junior designers, Kelsey manages and oversees the creative needs of Her Campus’s 260+ chapters nationwide and abroad. Passionate about campaign ideation and finding innovative design solutions for brands, Kelsey works closely with the client services team to develop integrated marketing and native advertising campaigns for Her Campus clients such as Macy’s, UGG, Merck, Amtrak, Intel, TRESemmé and more. A 2012 college graduate, Kelsey passionately pursued English Literature, Creative Writing and Studio Art at Skidmore College. Born in and native to Massachusetts, Kelsey supplements creative jewelry design and metal smithing with a passion for fitness and Boston Bruins hockey. Follow her on Twitter: @kelsey_thornFollow her on Instagram: @kelsey_thorn