Laundry Day: 10 Tips For Proper Clothing Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

We know the hectic life of a collegiette™ leaves little time to think about proper clothing care, but these quick tips might save you (and your wardrobe!) before it’s too late. After all, no one likes to see their new shirt go from adorable to un-wearable in seconds!

1. When doing laundry, always separate lights and darks. We know this sometimes seems impossible in the busy laundry rooms, but it’s crucial. If you think a shirt might bleed, it probably will. Don’t take the chance. However, if you simply can’t wait for an open machine (or want to save that $1.25)…

2. Wash with cold water, just to be safe. The cold cycle is gentler so there’s less of a risk of bleeding colors. Just remember, gentler also means less effective on tough stains (refer to tip #8).

3. Don’t overload the washer. Again, this tempts all of us, but it pretty much defeats the purpose of washing your clothes in the first place. Nothing will get clean.

4. Dry clothes on the “low” setting when possible. We tend to wash laundry in separate loads, like we’re supposed to, but then jam it all into one (much bigger) dryer cranked on High. While this is a money and space saver, high heat isn’t good for any kind of clothing. Also, if you hesitate at all about whether or not to dry an item, DON’T DO IT! Chances are you should go with your gut on this one.

5. Don’t dry your bras! This is common knowledge for most of us girls, yet we all try to ignore it. While it may seem embarrassing to walk back to your room carrying wet bras, it’s necessary. Hanging your bras helps them keep their oh so desirable shape and support, and they’ll last longer too.
[pagebreak]
6. Take wrinkle-prone clothes out of your basket first. It’s pretty common to finish your laundry, plop the laundry basket in your room, and run off to something more exciting. Then when we return, regret sets in as we lift out wrinkled shirts one by one. Avoid this by at the least, taking out only the clothes that need to be hung and then leaving the rest for when you have more time. After all, a wrinkled t-shirt is not nearly as upsetting as that new, perfectly sleek top that’s now a crinkled mess.

7.  And when you fail to avoid wrinkles, invest in a de-wrinkle spray! For those of us that didn’t bring a mini ironing board pick up a spray like Downy Wrinkle Releaser, spray your clothes, hang them and they’ll dry smoothly. Problem solved!

8. Stain remover is key! Having a stain remover on hand like Shout or Tide Stain Brush can be a lifesaver when it comes to clothing. Have an impossible stain? Oxi-clean wins every time. Just try to remember to stain stick your clothes right after you get the stain and then put them in the hamper. Don’t think you’ll remember to de-stain in the laundry room before throwing everything in the washer.

9. Have a deodorant stain? Fix the problem fast by rubbing an opposite fabric on your shirt. For example, if you get a deodorant smear on a cotton shirt, it will disappear by rubbing linen on it! Cool, huh?

10. If you’re like the typical collegiette, you didn’t think to bring mom’s static guard to school. Don’t let the dry Skidmore winter frustrate you; a dryer sheet works just as well. Just rub it on that troubled skirt (or even your hair, if you like that laundry-fresh scent!) and you’ll be static free.

Take a tip from our friends at Tide: “Style is an option, clean is not.”
Keep this list in mind the next time you have to hit the laundry room, and make your mamma proud!

As the Senior Designer, Kelsey is responsible for the conceptualization and design of solutions that support and strengthen Her Campus on all levels. While managing junior designers, Kelsey manages and oversees the creative needs of Her Campus’s 260+ chapters nationwide and abroad. Passionate about campaign ideation and finding innovative design solutions for brands, Kelsey works closely with the client services team to develop integrated marketing and native advertising campaigns for Her Campus clients such as Macy’s, UGG, Merck, Amtrak, Intel, TRESemmé and more. A 2012 college graduate, Kelsey passionately pursued English Literature, Creative Writing and Studio Art at Skidmore College. Born in and native to Massachusetts, Kelsey supplements creative jewelry design and metal smithing with a passion for fitness and Boston Bruins hockey. Follow her on Twitter: @kelsey_thornFollow her on Instagram: @kelsey_thorn