Julia Adelman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Skidmore is full of talented students. We sat down with one of the presidents of Breakbeats, the all-inclusive hip-hop dance crew at Skidmore!

Name: Julia Adelman

Class Year: 2017

Major: Education

Hometown: Mendham, NJ

Her Campus: When did you start dancing?

Julia Adelman: I never danced before coming to Skidmore, just in my room for fun.

HC: What prompted you to join Breakbeats?

Julia: I saw them at my freshman showcase and thought they were awesome. We also welcome new members at any time during the semester!

HC: Do you guys have any shows coming up soon?

Julia: Yes, come to our final show on March 27th (8 pm in Filene)! We have big shoes to fill from our Beyoncé show last spring.

HC: What did you learn about dance while on the Skidmore Bali Trip this winter break?

Julia: Dancing in Bali is very different than any type of dance in America, especially hip-hop. Balinese dance is all about being slow and controlled. Many of the movements also have significant spiritual meanings. One of the hardest parts was not being allowed to show your teeth or smile while you dance.

HC: Did the dancing you learned in Bali affect the choreography we will see with Breakbeats?

Julia: If I can find the time to do choreography, then yes absolutely! I would love to combine the two forms. 

Sara Pion

Skidmore

My name is Sara Pion, I am a student at Skidmore college and originally from Boston Massachussetts. I love all things fashion and doing DIY crafts.