How to Make the Most of an Internship-less Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

We all hope our college years can help us plan for the future, and these days, every conversation seems to begin with, “What are you doing this summer?” If you don’t have an internship lined up, that’s when panic mode hits. Relax collegiettes, we at Her Campus have brain stormed a few options to ensure that you have the best and most productive summer yet!

Shadow
Some internships are still accepting applicants or have rolling deadlines, so it’s not too late!  But if you missed the boat on the internships you had your eye on or didn’t get organized enough to apply, don’t worry. E-mail some businesses in your area of study and ask to shadow one of their employees.  Shadowing gives you the professional experience with less pressure, and still looks great on resumes!  Approach the business casually and mention that you’re not looking for anything official, just a few hours a week to observe and learn about the field.  They’ll be happy to help! (Plus, once you get to know the employees, you’ll be in a better position to land an internship there next summer!)

Volunteer
There are tons of organizations that are willing to take last minute volunteers for the summer. So, if you’re worried about an empty resume, volunteering could just be your ticket. Showing that experiences are more important than money for you is a key quality than many employers respect for post-grad job searches.

Summer Job

Can’t afford a non-paying summer? Don’t be afraid to go back to that embarrassing high school job. So dog sitting won’t get you ahead in the professional world? So what!  Money is money and us college ladies could always use a few extra bucks.  If you have time, why not try to get a second part time job while you’re at it?  It’s good to get a variety of work environments on your resume, so if you’ve been working in the food industry, try retail or work at a day camp for fun!

Travel
Since you’re sansplans this summer, now is the perfect time to indulge in that euro trip you’ve dreamed about since high school. The following years are bound to be busy as you start to take flight into the real world, so take this opportunity to explore new places! No need to shell out for an expensive plane ticket though. Instead, visit friends in different cities (especially ones you’ve never been to) to get to see a new side of them and where they come from. After college, you won’t be as hesitant to get a job in a new city if you’ve already been there!

So next time someone asks for your summer plans, name off one of these options! There’s no shame in an internship-less summer, and while they are important for your future, there’s still time to score a perfect one later.  

As the Senior Designer, Kelsey is responsible for the conceptualization and design of solutions that support and strengthen Her Campus on all levels. While managing junior designers, Kelsey manages and oversees the creative needs of Her Campus’s 260+ chapters nationwide and abroad. Passionate about campaign ideation and finding innovative design solutions for brands, Kelsey works closely with the client services team to develop integrated marketing and native advertising campaigns for Her Campus clients such as Macy’s, UGG, Merck, Amtrak, Intel, TRESemmé and more. A 2012 college graduate, Kelsey passionately pursued English Literature, Creative Writing and Studio Art at Skidmore College. Born in and native to Massachusetts, Kelsey supplements creative jewelry design and metal smithing with a passion for fitness and Boston Bruins hockey. Follow her on Twitter: @kelsey_thornFollow her on Instagram: @kelsey_thorn