Healthy Smoothies for Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Smoothies tend to get a bad rap for being calorie-ridden, high in sugar, and lacking in any nutritional value. This may be true for restaurant-chains and supermarket varieties, but homemade smoothies offer endless opportunities for making healthy alternatives to those store-bought favorites. The following simple recipes will get you on your smoothie-making feet and can even pass for a quick, healthy meal!

Berry Banana Breakfast Smoothie

This recipe from Martha Stewart is a refreshing and healthy way to start off your day. The addition of fat-free yogurt and milk (or soymilk) provides a serving of protein that will definitely leave you feeling full for hours. Use almond milk or coconut milk as a dairy alternative with the same protein benefits!

“Classic Green Monster” – A Sneaky Way to Get in Your Greens!
Spinach in a smoothie? It may sound unappetizing, but once blended with other ingredients, the taste of the veggies is completely masked! By adding greens like spinach or kale to your morning smoothie, you can meet your daily vegetable needs by lunchtime. This “Classic Green Monster” smoothie from blogger Angela at Oh She Glows is super tasty and filled with energy-boosting ingredients.

Peach Vanilla Smoothie
Described as “tasting more like peach ice cream with a hint of a vanilla,” this nutritious smoothie shared by Martha Rose Shulman of The New York Times, combines peaches, almond milk, vanilla and almond extract, and is thickened by the addition of granola. Who wouldn’t want a vitamin-packed ice cream for breakfast?

Adding Sweeteners and Flavors
Instead of loading up your smoothie with sugar, there are healthier, alternate ways to sweeten up your blend. Agave nectar and honey are great alternatives while almond and vanilla extract add tasty flavor profiles. Add cocoa powder or chocolate milk to further satisfy a sweet tooth!

Now that you have a few easy recipes, start exploring all the possibilities waiting for you!  Whatever taste you’re in the mood for, whether it’s fruity, chocolaty, or nutty, you can make a smoothie that’s perfect (and super healthy!) for you

As the Senior Designer, Kelsey is responsible for the conceptualization and design of solutions that support and strengthen Her Campus on all levels. While managing junior designers, Kelsey manages and oversees the creative needs of Her Campus’s 260+ chapters nationwide and abroad. Passionate about campaign ideation and finding innovative design solutions for brands, Kelsey works closely with the client services team to develop integrated marketing and native advertising campaigns for Her Campus clients such as Macy’s, UGG, Merck, Amtrak, Intel, TRESemmé and more. A 2012 college graduate, Kelsey passionately pursued English Literature, Creative Writing and Studio Art at Skidmore College. Born in and native to Massachusetts, Kelsey supplements creative jewelry design and metal smithing with a passion for fitness and Boston Bruins hockey. Follow her on Twitter: @kelsey_thornFollow her on Instagram: @kelsey_thorn