Goals For The New Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

On January 1st, most of us sat down with a notebook or computer and tapped out our goals for 2015: resolves of eating less candy, spending more time with friends, getting back to yoga, etc. But for us Skidkids, we had another new beginning coming up two weeks later: the start of spring semester. And what better time to make some resolutions about school work and healthy living than at the opening of a new term? You’ve got new classes, and you’re surrounded by new people, it’s the perfect time to create a new lifestyle as well. And the best part? It’s only for a semester! Giving yourself goals for a period of three and a half months seems a lot more doable than a whole year. So what are some areas that would be good to set semester goals in? Well, we’re glad you asked! 

Fitness: Because it’s a tale as old as time, setting resolutions about working out and going to the gym can seem a little too cliché; but with your new classes and work hours, you’re already establishing a different routine from last semester, so why not write in time to work out as well? 

Diet: Another classic, but a new semester really is the perfect time to start throwing in a few more salads each week. How much you want to refine your eating habits totally depends on you and your body, but if you’re looking to make the change, the fact that other parts of your routine are getting switched up as well can make it easier than at other times of year. 

School: You have all new classes and usually at least a few new professors. It’s a clean academic slate, so why not set some goals for yourself? They’re not for your entire Skidmore career, or even for the full year, just for these classes and these teachers specifically. You can choose to set a certain number of hours you want to study each day, or make getting a particular grade your goal. You have to figure out what works for you, but there really is no better time to set academic resolutions. And then you can change them again when fall rolls around! 

Activities: A new semester also means a new start in terms of what you’re doing outside of class. There’s a club fair at the beginning of spring semester, so be sure to stop by and at least hear about the opportunities. Take advantage of the fact that a lot of groups are looking for new members, and maybe try something you haven’t before.

Relationships: It’s so easy to meet new people at the beginning of a new semester, probably easier than at any other time of the year. New classes and (if you chose to listen to that last suggestion) new activities mean that you’ll be meeting tons of people you may have never even seen before. So make it a goal to talk to someone who you haven’t before, or to get closer to a casual acquaintance. It’s always good to expand your group of friends, and a new semester is a new beginning for everyone, so what better time than now?

Make your goals doable, and don’t push yourself too hard about getting them done. They’re guidelines for you, not rules. But the next three and a half months are a great time to start moving towards the lifestyle you want to have, so take advantage. A new semester could mean a new you!