Element Fashion Show: Sneak Peek of Meredith Robinson’s Collection

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

You might know her because you’ve heard of her; you might know her because you too have admired her patent, unique style and fashion sense. Meredith Robinson started her Skidmore career with an intention to pursue International Law, but it didn’t take her long discover her passion for clothing, costume and textiles. By the end of her sophomore year, she decided to officially shift her focus and will now graduate with a minor in International Affairs and a Self-Determined degree in The History & Practice of Costume and Fashion Design, with the hopes of pursuing a career in the fashion industry.

Clothing design is a zealous interest of Meredith’s because it enables her to respond to the fashion around her. She’s motivated to infuse fashion with her own voice, interpretation, and distinctive style. Not only does Meredith design her own clothes, but she also sews and has been since she was eight years old. “When I’m shopping, I look at garments and visualize how they would look with different hemlines or fabrics, and I wish that I could create an improved or slightly different version. Being able to sew the designs I conceptualize is very satisfying,” she said.

This spring, Meredith will feature her designs for the first time in Skidmore’s Element Fashion Show. Though she once participated in the event as a model, this is her first time to publicly show her creations as a designer, and she eagerly awaits the debut.

The clothing incorporates silk, velvet, denim, cotton and even feathers. Her creations are reflective of her own personal style and, as she is known for her eclectic taste, the possibilities are endless. After a sneak peak at her designs, I can attest that it’s impossible to predict what she will do next.

In addition to reflecting Meredith’s own fashion style, the collection is also inspired by vintage clothing and the fashion of the decades. More specifically, the designs are her interpretation of recycled silhouettes, particularly those from the 1940’s and 1970’s. “So often fashion is simply adopted from previous decades and is only slightly modified in order to appear new, but there still remains basic structures and styles that signify the social and political climate out of which the designs arise. Fashion is used to convey personal and political messages every day and I am interested in how these messages change or remain the same as fashion repeats itself,” she said.

Come see and support Meredith as she debuts her creations in the Element Fashion Show on Friday, April 15th in the small gym. Her clothes will open your eyes to the glamorous, the eccentric, and the classically playful silver screen! 

As the Senior Designer, Kelsey is responsible for the conceptualization and design of solutions that support and strengthen Her Campus on all levels. While managing junior designers, Kelsey manages and oversees the creative needs of Her Campus’s 260+ chapters nationwide and abroad. Passionate about campaign ideation and finding innovative design solutions for brands, Kelsey works closely with the client services team to develop integrated marketing and native advertising campaigns for Her Campus clients such as Macy’s, UGG, Merck, Amtrak, Intel, TRESemmé and more. A 2012 college graduate, Kelsey passionately pursued English Literature, Creative Writing and Studio Art at Skidmore College. Born in and native to Massachusetts, Kelsey supplements creative jewelry design and metal smithing with a passion for fitness and Boston Bruins hockey. Follow her on Twitter: @kelsey_thornFollow her on Instagram: @kelsey_thorn
Adriana is a junior at Skidmore College, with an English major and Studio Art and French double minor. Born and raised in the Main Line suburbs of Philadelphia, Adriana loves to travel, write, and paint. She has spent summers in France and Italy studying fashion, painting, and art history, and recently finished her semester abroad in Paris. At Skidmore, Adriana enjoys participating in musicals, club soccer and field hockey, and writing for the school newspaper. With advertising and graphic design internships under her belt, Adriana is excited to continue her experience in journalism at Her Campus, and eventually get a law degree. In her free time, she loves to play tennis, paint oil portraits, and play the piano.