From Crowded to Cozy: Decorating your Triple

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Yes, at Skidmore we have freshman triples and lots of them. After your first month here, you’re probably used to it, but to ease the transition even more, we at Her Campus have some decorating tips to make that crowded college triple your new favorite place to hang!

Stack the Furniture

Since you’ve already unpacked (we hope!), moving furniture might be tough. But if you’re willing to take on the challenge, you won’t regret it. Loft your bed and put your dresser drawers and shelving unit side by side beneath it. If you’re a petite gal and dreading that hike into bed every night, don’t forget that dressers will fit in your closet instead. Then, team up with a roommate and stack both of your shelves on top of one another for a tall, homey-looking bookcase!

Color Coordinate
Don’t panic if this wasn’t done ahead of time. We all know those summer emails back and forth can be awkward. Instead, find a color that can work with each of your current bedspreads. Blue stripes, yellow flowers, and solid red? No problem! Teal is a fun pair for each of those colors, so buy three throw pillows in a solid teal for each bed to bring the room together. (FYI, you may have to make your bed everyday for this to work…)

Spice Up the Walls
Triples can seem crowded and overwhelming, but don’t let that stop you from adding some essential room decor. It’s amazing what a tapestry and a simple window curtain can do for the illusion of space! Go on a roommate shopping trip for posters and wall hangings. If you choose them together, you can space them equally around the room for a more unified look without worrying about whose goes where. And, hey, now is the time for that roommate bonding excursion anyway!

Lights, Lights, Lights
When all else fails, you can never go wrong with some mood lighting. Any room is instantly more inviting with use of various lamps and Christmas lights instead of that awful fluorescent overhead (complexion impurities, anyone?). Plus, now your room is ready to go for those especially seductive nights… wink wink.

So if you’re one of the lucky freshman ladies in a double, power to you and enjoy the dancing room. But for the rest of you, don’t worry. We?ll have your room looking great and ready for girls night in no time!

Audrey is a class of 2013 English major at Skidmore College. She has held several communications internships in her hometown of Nashville, TN, including ones at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, Nissan's North American Headquarters, and at Katcher Vaughn and Bailey Public Relations. In her free time, she loves to bake for family and friends, exercise by swimming, and loves all things Parisian. Audrey can't wait to continue her journalism experience with Her Campus as a campus correspondent. Having lived in Nashville, France and New York, Audrey has found a love for travel, and hopes to discover a new city after Skidmore where she plans to continue onto law school.