Best Book-to-TV Adaptations to Stream Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

There’s something so special and, dare I say, inarticulable about finding a book you love–with a story that changes your life. There’s also a certain level of excitement and anxiety that accompanies sitting down to watch an on-screen adaptation of your favorite story. Will the characters look the way you pictured them in your head? How much will they change the dialogue or subplot? Ugh, will they make that romance scene too cheesy? Netflix and Hulu are now jumping on the trend of adapting novels into shows that can be binged within a 48-hour period (we all do it, it’s fine). Here’s a list of some recently released and soon to be released book-to-tv adaptations that will provide some much needed study break enjoyment:

The Handmaid’s Tale, Hulu (premieres April 26th) 

Adapted from Margaret Atwood’s popular dystopian novel, the series will depict the world of Gilead, a dystopia that exists in what used to be the United States and deals with a timely issue–the restriction of women’s reproductive rights. The show has a phenomenal cast with actors from some of our favorite past series: Elizabeth Moss from Mad Men and Alexis Bledel from Gilmore Girls (both of which you can also binge watch on Netflix). 

Big Little Lies, HBO (available for streaming now)

Talk about a show with another huge cast: Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman, and Shailene Woodley star in this mini-series adaptation of Liane Moriarty’s novel of the same name. Supporting characters include Alexander Skarsgard, Adam Scott, Zoe Kravitz, and Laura Dern–seriously unreal. Follow the main characters as they navigate relationships and deal with some pretty heavy stuff from their pasts. The show has received a ton of praise and its explosive finale just aired this week. 

13 Reasons Why, Netflix (available for streaming now)

Jay Asher’s YA novel about a teen girl’s suicide and its aftermath is enduring and struck a cord in all of us. Selena Gomez is a member of the team that revisited the novel and brought it to TV.  Watch Clay as he receives a mysterious box from Hannah Baker, who discloses the thirteen reasons for ending her life, and what he (and we each) learn in the process. 

Witches of East End, Netflix (available for streaming now)

If you’re into supernatural novels but are also a fan of Gossip Girl and the likes, this show is for you. A great mix of intrigue, magic, and small town charm and gossip, Witches of East End is an adaptation of YA author Melissa de la Cruz’s first adult book series of the same name. Jenna Dewan-Tatum steals the show as sassy bartender/witch Freya (there’s even a dance scene in the second season as a nod to her Step Up routes) whose family is entrenched in a century-long witch hunt against them. The show is currently in its third season on Lifetime, but the first two season are on Netflix. 

Riverdale, The CW (available for streaming now)

So, not an adaptation of a novel, but of a comic book: Archie, Veronica & Betty, and Jughead, along with our favorite girls Josie and the Pussycats are all back with a new spin on the classic story. Riverdale is a brand-new adaptation of the Archie comics injected with all the juicy CW gossip we know and love (think the darkness and allure of Vampire Diaries). Cole Sprouse is definitely a crowd-favorite in his enduring portrayal of Jughead Jones, and KJ Apa’s Archie Andrews steals our hearts. The real starts of the show, in my opinion, are all the fierce women: Betty, Veronica, Josie, Valerie, and even Cheryl Blossom are fierce, loyal, and fun. 

English Major and Business Minor at Skidmore College and new Co-CC of Skidmore HC. Spends free time hanging out with friends, taking yoga classes and dancing, and admittedly binge-watching her favorite Netflix shows.