8 Must-See Romantic Movies in Theaters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Whether you celebrated with a special someone or proudly alone, Valentine’s Day left a little love in the air.  Lucky for us, this love came in the form of a top notch box-office line-up (and by top notch we mean extra romantic, extra emotional, obviously).  It’s been far too long since we’ve seen some decent chick flicks hit the big screen, but finally they’re all coming to us at once!  Grab your gal pals because there are plenty of mushy movies out now, as well as some future ones to get excited about.

In Theaters:

Labor Day – In Theaters

This (possibly overly) dramatic Nicholas Sparks-esque story features a single mother, Kate Winslet, and her son who meet a runaway con, Josh Brolin, one fateful Labor Day weekend.  Even though this is more of a mature love story, we’ll take romance with an emotional twist any day.

That Awkward Moment – In Theaters

A classic tale of trying not to fall in love, this is a rare rom-com that features men in the lead roles (and we’re not completely opposed).  It’s kind of fun to watch the typical funny, corny love story through the eyes of an attractive trio (Zac Efron, Michael B. Jordan, and Miles Teller).

About Last Night – In Theaters

This has essential rom-com written all over it – jokes from Kevin Hart, looks from Michael Ealy (OMG those eyes) and charm from Joy Bryant (Parenthood fans rejoice!). We’re sure it’s 100% predictable, but sometimes that’s 100% what we want…

Winter’s Tale – In Theaters

This fantastical romance seems a little out there, but we can get into it (hello, Colin Farrell). Because really, when has a time traveling love story ever let us down?

Endless Love – In Theaters

Little rich girl falls in love with the working class boy and Daddy doesn’t approve…We know the story line is essentially The Notebook, but we still can’t wait! After all, did anyone complain about The Notebook? No. So we don’t mind a pseudo repeat…

[pagebreak]

The Invisible Woman – In Select Theaters

A slightly darker independent movie, The Invisible Woman stars Ralph Fiennes as Charles Dickens and Felicity Jones (the cutie from Like Crazy) as his secret young lover. Not the typical sappy story, but you can’t go wrong with a period piece… usually (flashback to Anna Karenina).

Coming Soon:

Breathe In – March 28th, 2014

Also starring Felicity Jones (you go girl!) and also about her romance with a married man (yikes, girl…), this story chronicles the effect that a beautiful exchange student living in upstate New York has on the family she stays with.  Again, not really a chick flick… but definitely emotional and poignant.

The Fault in Our Stars – June 6th, 2014

Just bring lots of tissues… that’s all we can say.

Now that you’re well educated in the romance department, pick your fave or go see them all!  It’s been a while for us sappy flick fans, so we deserve a splurge.

Which must-see romantic movie are you most excited to see? Tell us in the comments!