5 Important TV Shows From the Late 80s/Early 90s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Full House (1987)

Full House is important to television because it was a modern twist on a family sitcom. Television shows usually involve a nuclear family, a married mother and father and one or two children. Full House proves that family dynamics don’t have to be the perfect breadwinner father with the house-wife mother. Although this family isn’t perfect, they are all learning together and that’s what makes the show so entertaining to watch.

Fresh Prince (1990)

The Banks family was not the first black family on television, but they were still influential on the social scene during the time. Fresh Prince spoke out on many racial issues including specific episodes showing the modern racism in America and how the family dealt with it. The television show brings social issues to life and doesn’t hide behind a perfect Hollywood world.

Saved by the Bell (1989)

Most television shows are told from the perspective of teenagers, but in Saved by the Bell there is little influence from parents and the scenes mostly take place at school. This show is one that expresses the importance of school in teenagers’ lives, and how the relationships built there are the most important thing to them at that age.

Boy Meets World (1993)

Television is meant as a way for people to be entertained but usually always has a lesson involved. Boy Meets World was interesting in that the show literally seemed to revolve around a lesson from their teacher. This emphasized the student to teacher relationship and showed how you can learn something new every day.

Friends (1994)

Friends was one of the first sitcoms to break the rule of only two or three characters in a scene at once. This show relied heavily on the dynamic between all the characters and the fact that each “friend” had a good relationship with each other, whether privately or within the group. By breaking the rule, they proved that every relationship is important to the whole storyline of the show.

Morgan Fechter

Skidmore '20

CC of HC Skidmore