10 Reasons Why We’re Excited for Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Even though spring doesn’t begin until April, it doesn’t mean that we’re going to refuse an entire week off from school in March. It’s not quite Thanksgiving break or winter break, but whether you’re going to be going home, or to a tropical island, or to a slightly sleazy hotel in Florida, you’re getting a pumped for tha week long break. And here’s why:

Family

Admit it: you miss them – and you know that you’re parents miss you like crazy. They just want to hug you and make eye contact with you – its been a while, so let them, you know you want to. Even though we try to make a family with our friends at school, there’s nothing like our real family to remind us how loved we truly are. 

That One Friend Who Has The Same Spring Break As You

Spring break schedules vary by school, no one ever seems to have the same week off, but there always seems to be one lucky collision. Or maybe you live close enough to visit your friend more manageably than when you’re at school. Maybe you still have friends in High School – whatever it is, you’re going to see someone who you’ve been missing. Plan a brunch date or ten.

No Homework (Or No Added Homework)

You probably do have work over break (thanks professors!), but that’s the only work you have – get what I’m saying? No? Okay, so: whatever work you have over break is the only work you have to worry about. There are no day-to-day add-on’s, only day-to-day subtractions. Or just a last minute final rush, but either way, that pile is not going to get bigger.

Home Cooked Meals

D-hall is pretty good, but absolutely nothing beats home cooked meals. There’s a DIY station, sure, but when we think home cooked meals, we think either mom or dad’s cooking, not endless omelets, and the choice between either an ice cream or waffle machine. 

Free Meals

Second best thing to home cooked meals: free meals. Unless going out to your favorite restaurant is a better choice in your book. Either way, once you’re home, your debt is granted the opportunity to take a little pause in its seemingly endless growth.

Your Bed

Nothing is more comfortable than sleeping in your own bed again. Despite your memory foam twin XL mattress pad, nothing beats the bed you had to leave behind. Plus, if you left your dog or cat behind, then absolutely nothing beats the bonus of late night cuddles with an adorably fluffy best friend.

Shower Freedom

How could you not be excited to not have to wear shoes in the shower without fearing either toe fungus or athlete’s foot? You’re getting all your shower privacy back for a week; you can lock the door and not feel guilty. You can belt at the top of your lungs. Not to mention, you can take the steamiest shower for as long as you want. When at home, you can definitely be certain that your hot water is not going to turn to cold.

Beaches

If you’re going to a beach, that’s an entirely different kind of spring break. You’ll get an actual tan, not a spray tan – do people still get those? Either way, prepared to be blessed with natural and authentic beachy waves.

Fruity Drinks

Also, if you are going on a vacation, make sure to get umbrellas in your drinks by the poolside or beachside. Whether this is classy or tragic, but it’s always makes you feel like you belong.

Binge Watching Without Feeling Guilty

Wherever you go, know that you have an entire week to just relax, so do just that. Don’t ever feel guilty for binge watching during spring break, it’s your week to spend however you want. Also, Fuller House just premiered on Netflix, which is just another excuse. Go. For. It. 

A senior at Skidmore College, who loves beagles, batman, and sushi. You can find me dreaming about Anderson Cooper and doing crossword puzzles.