This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

APEX is the most talked about experience at Saint Joe’s. With less than a week away APEX is the only thing on everyone’s mind.

The Appalachian Experience is a weeklong engagement trip that is centered on service and community.  During the week, members of APEX immerse themselves in the culture and lifestyle of the community they help. With 17 different work sites, students are asked to step out of their comfort zone, meet new people and reflect on the eye-opening experience they love so much.

Sarah O’Brian is a current senior who has gone on APEX for three years at Saint Joes. 

“To me APEX doesn’t simply just mean a service trip, it means looking at life from a different perspective, learning about the communities around us and serving with people to make a difference. APEX means new friends and a chance to reflect on the type of person I want to be.” O’Brian said.

O’Brian went one step further and decided she wanted to be a leader. “APEX had so much impact on my college experience at SJU. My first year on APEX I knew this was an organization that I wanted to take part in for the rest of my college career. I wanted to assist in the experience with students as much as possible and what better way to do that than become a leader. As a leader, I am able to interact with sites before we even head to the region and start building relationships. I also hope I can help participants grow themselves and learn about the region, the same way my leaders did,” O’Brian said.

This year, Sarah will join fellow leader Sean Rigau in leading 32 fresh faces at Lanz Farm, West Virginia.

APEX is almost like a lifestyle here at Saint Joes. You see faces light up and smiles appear when people talk about it. I’m sure everyone has heard it’s the best experience they have had at Saint Joes and they won’t regret it. Next spring break get out of your comfort zone and sign up! You never know what kind of experience you will have and what good can come out of it.

HCXO,

Isabella Bussard