Urban Outfitters: Marketing Plea or Offensive Scheme

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Whether you like to throw on the most comfortable outfit or you’re a major fashionista, you have heard of the store Urban Outfitters. The retailer is known for trendy, bohemian style clothing and often mirrors vintage styles. Both the clothing and household items are sometimes sarcastic, ironic, and taboo. One piece of clothing, however, has recently crossed the line. It is unclear whether the following offensive items of clothing are a marketing plea, or if the team at Urban Outfitters failed to consider the potential offense a certain design can cause. Would you ever buy or wear the following items?

Recently Urban Outfitters released a “Vintage Kent State Sweatshirt” for a mere $129. It’s not the price that’s offensive about this item; people became outraged about how it looks. This sweatshirt was purchased as a single, vintage item as part of a sun-faded collection. The original red dye has faded throughout the majority of the sweatshirt, but in the areas it has not, appears to resemble bloodstains. Why is this a big deal? On May 4th in 1970, the Ohio National Guard killed four unarmed students during a protest on The Vietnam War, while shooting open fire at the entire mob of students. The event became known as the “Kent State Massacre” and deeply weakened American trust in government and police forces at the time. It was a national shock, at a time of political turmoil in the United States. Two years ago, the university opened a museum to honor the victims and reflect on the impact the massacre had. Urban Outfitters is demonstrating a lack of empathy with this type of design. The company released a statement saying, “”It was never our intention to allude to the tragic events that took place at Kent State in 1970, and we are extremely saddened that this item was perceived as such.”

Urban also offended people with their color description of the following shirt. This simple black V-neck shirt was offered for $14.99. The color choice was listed as “Obama/Black” for the shirt in a black color. Urban Outfitters said this was a mistake and it was supposed to be listed as “Obama/Blue” as an ode to blue being a patriotic color.

Sophia Bush from the popular TV show One Tree Hill created a campaign against Urban Outfitters when she was enraged by a shirt she believed to encourage poor body image and potentially, eating disorders. Urban Outfitters created a shirt that said “Eat Less.” In the website’s image for this shirt it looks like the model has padding all around her waist to make her look heavier. In response, Sophia put out an amazing picture of herself with a shirt that says, “0 is not a size.” In addition, the eco-friendly brand Artisan Tees created a similar shirt to Urban that says “Eat More.” If you want to buy the shirt click here!

Each item created a social media stir when released. The following tweets are from consumers speaking out against the messages these clothing articles are sending.

Urban Outfitters has many more potentially offensive items, such as a shirt that resembles a Nazi concentration camp uniform and also a game named Ghettopoly. Has Urban Outfitters’ marketing gone too far? SJU, you should feel comfortable in what you wear and feel comfortable in how you look. Clothing is not meant to be offensive, it is meant for you to feel your best.

HCXO,

Taylor & Marissa

My name is Taylor Rizzolino, I am a student at Saint Joseph's University studying both English and Leadership, Ethics, and Organizational Sustainability. I am one of the founders of HerCampus SJU! I couldn't be more excited about this blog! I love Hawk Hill and all it has to offer students! I have spent the past two years volunteering on behalf of Saint Joe's, on the dance team at SJU and on The Hawk staff as a news writer. I love engaging audiences via social media and I hope to give all collegiates a well-rounded perspective of SJU through this blog ...with a lot of style and girl talk along the way! xo