The Underestimated Power of the Scarf

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

The temperature has begun to drop, the leaves are turning orange, and  the ‘pumpkin’ flavors are out. Autumn is here ladies and gentlemen! It’s sweater weather season. However, there is an item in your closet that will enhance your look. You’ve heard it before: scarves. But have you ever tried it in these three ways? 

1. The belt & scarf combo.

This look does not only make a simple long sleeve tee into a wow outfit, but it also accentuates your waist. This is a solid color scarf (nothing really special) with an ADA belt. Feel free to use your creativity with this look. Mix and match different colors to get the look you are looking for. 

2. The Bow

For those of you that are looking for a preppy look, this is an adorable option. It has a very Blair Waldorf feel to it. Here is a short tutorial on how to make a scarf look like a bow. Use this look with a fitted crew neck sweater to keep it very simple yet chic. 

3.The Fur Scarf

To add some New York edge to your outfit, use an infinity fur scarf. Whether it is completely faux fur or if it’s just a little hint of fur, it dresses up any sweater. My advice: wear it with all black. You will scream high fashion.

Born and raised in Guayaquil, Ecuador. Majoring in Communication Studies at Saint Joseph's University. I am a fashion lover since day one, I am pretty sure it is in my genes. I believe that knowledge is important, love and kindness are necessary, faith is what holds everything together, and being girly doesn't hurt anyone.