Undercover Colors: The Date Rape Nail Polish

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Just the other day, a fraternity at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee was accused of slipping drugs into alcoholic drinks after a girl in attendance was rushed to the hospital due to severe intoxication. This kind of behavior is unacceptable and intolerable.

A few months ago, four college students decided to find a solution to this problem and it’s probably not what you’re thinking. “Undercover Colors,” which is not for sale yet, is nail polish that was invented by these boys so that girls could detect traces of date rape drugs in their drink. Apply the polish, and if you feel hesitant about what might be in your drink, swirl your finger in the beverage. If there are any traces of certain date rape drugs in your drink, then your nail polish will turn a different color. Sounds easy, right?

Although this nail polish is an excellent way to make girls aware of the safety of their drinks, it does not ultimately prevent anything bad from happening. Always remember to pace yourself when drinking, especially if you’re somewhere unfamiliar. This nail polish could potentially save you, but not if you’re too intoxicated to even realize what’s going on.  

With much praise comes much controversy. Many women feel that by wearing this nail polish, they are responsible for any type of sexual assault. Thankfully, most sexual assault victims learn they are not to blame. However, if one were to apply this polish and something happen, the victim would have difficulty understanding that it wasn’t her fault. One online blog, Feministing, was definitely opposed to this new product. Read more here.

Although some women would not buy this new product for their beliefs, I believe it is okay to be cautious. These four college boys had good intentions when inventing this product because they knew girls who were victims of sexual assault. Their main goal is to “empower” women through this nail polish and I think that women can be protected by Undercover Colors. It’s better to be safe than sorry. 

Rebecca Sliwak is the current Editor-In-Chief for Her Campus at Saint Joseph's University in Philadelphia. She is studying Communications and Marketing as a senior, is a member of Alpha Gamma Delta, studied abroad in Madrid, and has been on the Her Campus SJU team since sophomore year.