True Life: I am a Resident Assistant

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

My name is Taylor. I am a senior at SJU, a Leadership, Ethics, and Organizational Sustainability and English major, and the VP of Her Campus SJU. I’m also an RA.

I’ve written about my experience as an RA twice so far on my personal blog as I went through training for the position. I now have a little over a month worth of experiences under my belt as a resident assistant and I’ve learned a few things.

1. Underclassmen are a little more hesitant around me. I noticed this in my math beauty class (which yes, I’ve waited until senior year to take). A certain look comes over their face and I have to a work a little harder to make it clear I am not talking to them to find out about their parties. I simply just want to borrow a calculator. The stereotype of an RA exists and while not all people act in accordance, I’ve become increasingly more aware of how dropping that title changes someone’s perception of myself.

2. While there is no one type of RA, I’ve realized that the individuals that work with me in residence life are the most helpful students I have encountered. Not to mention interesting, motivated, and thoughtful. If you live on-campus, get to know your RA, and the other RA’s in the building. I wish I did as an underclassman.

3. Being an RA is helping me to prepare for my professional life. I attend a weekly staff meeting, attend one-on-one meetings with my area manager, and write reports on my progress as an RA. I also plan programs, individually and in collaboration, and must find the resources to execute them. The demands of being an RA require use of professional language, integrity, and an attention to detail. Constantly collaborating with my manager, other RA’s, professors, and on-campus staff, is perfect practice for the corporate world.

4. I live in somewhat of a fishbowl. That means, what I am doing, where I am, and who I am with is all representative of myself and larger, the university. I was eating lunch outside of campion during the first week of school when I realized one of my residents was sitting at the same table. I did not even recognize her and felt ashamed that I could not give her the dignity of a hello until minutes into the situation. This small slip-up has stayed with me as I am constantly telling myself to open my eyes a little more and always, be including while being conscious of the situation at hand.

But the fishbowl phenomena does not solely exist on campus. While I was out on a Saturday night, a drunken classmate (also 21 years old) yelled across the street, “Are you going to write me up?” In that moment, I was annoyed, but had to respond appropriately and control my emotions as he continued to yell “There’s an RA!” It was a reality check that I am no longer just Taylor, I am Taylor the RA.

5. Ask questions. How many times are we told this throughout our lives? Every teacher, professor, and coach has drilled this into our brains, but often, we feel inadequate to even ask. This is my first year as an RA, which means I have a lot of questions and also, have been receiving a lot of questions. Why are you an RA? Do you like being an RA? How are your residents? I enjoy the questions for the conversation it prompts and found that the more questions, the more connections. Keep asking, even when you think you know all the answers.

6. You are never too old to dream a new dream. Okay, so I did not come up with that mantra, but I believe it. Each year at SJU has been wildly different for me, but has also allowed me various perspectives of the university and I think, has allowed me to get a full SJU experience. This year, being an RA was a role I took on for the first time and as a senior that is rare. So if you are a junior who would like to be an RA next year, go for it. If you are a senior that wants to go on APEX, do it. If you think you “missed” an opportunity, create another.

7. While so much of my RA experience has been wonderful, there is also a level of isolation that accompanies the independence. I love creating my own schedule, or not worrying about making too much noise in the kitchen early in the morning, but when I come home, there is no one to share my day with immediately. In the same vein, as a senior, most of my friends live in Manayunk. Much more effort has gone into seeing my friends and I am fully aware that the day-to-day roommate experience is no longer a part of my life.

8. I’ve met incredible women through residence life that have become close girlfriends, but before accepting this position, I never gave a male RA much thought – friend or otherwise. The guys I’ve met through residence life are different. Since being at SJU, I’ve struggled with making solid guy friends that did not have ulterior motivations, or did not align with my values in life. Now, that is not to say that the guys at SJU are bad guys – they’re not – but I’ve often found that those I party with, I cannot grab lunch with. The guys I have worked with in Residence Life are those that can hold a conversation, offer insight and advice, and genuinely care about your friendship. So single ladies, maybe consider getting to know your RA for another reason. 

HCXO,

Taylor

My name is Taylor Rizzolino, I am a student at Saint Joseph's University studying both English and Leadership, Ethics, and Organizational Sustainability. I am one of the founders of HerCampus SJU! I couldn't be more excited about this blog! I love Hawk Hill and all it has to offer students! I have spent the past two years volunteering on behalf of Saint Joe's, on the dance team at SJU and on The Hawk staff as a news writer. I love engaging audiences via social media and I hope to give all collegiates a well-rounded perspective of SJU through this blog ...with a lot of style and girl talk along the way! xo