Top 10 School Bag Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

We’ve all been there: at the library without headphones; having a bad hair day without a hairband; waiting for an important call while you’re at 3% battery.  Sometimes it’s just not your day.  But before you leave your dorm, there’s ten items you might want to pack in your school bag that will be lifesavers throughout the day.  It will ultimately help you (and your friends) out in the long term!

1. Headphones

While some people prefer peace and quiet, I love listening to music while I study.  That being said, being at the library without headphones is torture, especially if you have a ton of homework to do.  If you keep your headphones in your schoolbag, you’ll always know you’ll be able to listen to music while cramming for your upcoming test or banging out a paper.

2. Planner

A planner is the best way to organize all that you have to do and stay on top of your schoolwork.  You can list out all your extracurricular activities, write down your homework assignments, and plan out your week for better time management.  If you haven everything written out, you’ll be able to organize everything you have going on so you don’t forget and de-stress.

3. SJU ID

At Saint Joe’s, your swipe is basically your ticket into most buildings on campus, including your dorm, the library, and Campion.  If you forget your swipe or key, it’s a big inconvenience, so making sure to check your school bag before you leave your dorm might save you the hassle of trying to navigate campus without it!

4. Pencil Case

This is probably one of the more important things you’ll need to keep in your schoolbag.  How are you supposed to take notes if you don’t have a pen?  Pack your pencil case with highlighters, pens, pencils, and post its and you’ll be set for class every day.

5. Hairbands

Hairbands are a godsend on a bad hair day: you can tie it back, put it up in a bun, and be done with it.  If you throw a few extra hairbands in your pencil case, you’ll always have them with you and your hair will be better in no time.

6. Phone Charger

This isn’t always necessary if you’re going to one class and you’re done, but if you have hour and fifteen minute classes back-to-back all day, you’re going to need to recharge your phone at some point!  Any time you’re leaving your dorm and you know you won’t be back to your room for a while, throw your charger in your bag.  It doesn’t take up much room and it can’t hurt to have it just in case!

7. Advil

Headaches in class are probably one of the worst things that can happen.  Personally I can be completely fine one second and have a pounding migraine the next.  By keeping a few Advil in your bag, you’ll be able to prevent any in-class headaches, or save a friend if they’re in that situation.

8. Snack

When you’re running around all day from class to class, sometimes there’s not enough time to stop to get something to eat.  In order to stay on top of things, throw a healthy snack, like a granola bar or a banana, in your bag and you’ll be ready to tackle your busy day.

9. Chapstick

No one likes chapped lips, especially during the winter, so Chapstick or lip balm is necessary.  Since you don’t need a mirror to apply it, it’s very low maintenance and can be applied anywhere on the go.

10. Tampons

Last, but most certainly not least, keeping a small bag with tampons and pads in your purse will most definitely be a lifesaver.  Whether it’s you or your friend who needs them, someone is going to be saved from an embarrassing situation if you just keep a few extra on hand at all times.

Social media and beauty obsessed.  Twitter/Instagram: @caseyamcbride