This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Even though the weather seems to be changing different hours of the day right now, it won’t be long until the cold temperatures are here to stay all winter season. Although it’s fun to look forward to the upcoming school breaks, holidays, and snow, we have to prepare for the worst: dry skin. Here are some tips on how to keep your skin hydrated during the cold months!

1. Avoid Hot Showers

Hot water strips oils from your skin causing dryness. Be sure to turn down the temperature to lukewarm while also shortening up your shower time as much as possible. 

1. Apply Lotion

Before leaving for class and right after you step out of the shower, put on a skin moisturizer. Aveeno lotion is one of my favorites. It’s dermatologist recommended, doesn’t take long to absorb, and is targeted to prevent dry skin.

1. Eat Healthy, Drink Agua

While maintaining the outside of your body, it’s important to pay attention to the inside too. Keep a water bottle handy throughout the day, and eat foods containing prebiotics and probiotics such as pickles, yogurt, oats, and bananas. These will allow your skin to flourish. If you want to try something new head to an Asain restaurant, and order Miso Soup or Kimchi, which are full of probiotics. 

1. Face Masks

Use a hydrating face mask at least twice a week. Lush face masks are great if you aren’t a fan of sheet masks, and want to try something more fun. Their best one for dry skin is Oatfix, but there are also different masks that treat other facial needs.

1. Chapstick, Chapstick, Chapstick

Do people still buy Eos? Any chapstick or lip balm you have, apply it often. Keeping one in your backpack, and leaving one at home makes it easier not to forget. It’s also good to use a lip scrub once a week. You can either buy one or make your own from simple recipes online. 

1. Don’t Forget Vaseline

Apply a small amount of Vaseline on your hands and feet before going to bed. Other strong, hydrating products such as Shea Butter and Coconut Oil Moisturizers will work too. 

1. Turn on the Humidifier

A humidifier alone will not cure dry skin, but it does help. Heaters and cold winds dry out skin just as a hot shower does. Having a humidifier on while you sleep dampens the humidity to nourish your skin keeping it hydrated. 

1. Back Off Harsh Face Wash 

Add a hydrating face wash to your skin routine. Avoid cleansers with ingredients such as retinol, and look for hyaluronic acid or aloe vera. Some great brands that hydrate and also prevent acne are Cetaphil, CeraVe, and Neutrogena

HCXO,

Mia

freshman accounting major
Saint Joseph's University Campus Correspondent