Scribd: A New Way to Experience Literature

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Here are the basics you need to know about the newest innovation in the field of literature:

What is it?

Scribd is an app compatible with almost any device including Apple products, Android, products and Kindle Fire. Scribd has been around since 2007, but this year it is reaching its height of publicity. This digital library is the home of over 300,000 books from over 900 publishers and used by 80 milllion people on a monthly basis. According to the official website, included in these works are, “…New York Times bestsellers, literary classics, groundbreaking non-fiction, and reader favorites in every genre,” proving to be well worth the subscription. 

Why should you get it?

Scribd is proven to have more books and written texts than any other application, including Amazon. Therefore, it will be compatible with school texts and desired additional reading. It has a personalized recommendation engine that will generate specific books to suit your taste that will hopefully promote more reading for pleasure. Furthermore, for authors or students interested in publishing work online, Scribd will work with you to reach desired audiences, and promote your work to other users. If successful, they will also compensate writers accordingly. This feature is even applicable for college students to upload resumes and have them to be sent to employers that belong to Scribd. You can create an account through Facebook or previously established social networks or create an original account. According to many, Scribd is the up-and-coming social networking site of 2014.

In order to learn more visit their website and get started:

http://www.scribd.com

-Rachel Quinn