Print Out, Internet In: New York Magazine to turn into Biweekly Publication

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Maybe it’s the way I was raised.

I love everything about magazines and papers thanks to my parents’ pile of literary sources that are always on the coffee table. I’d rather flip through a magazine then scroll through one any day. But as we near the end of 2013, it is obvious print is fading away from us and technology is taking over.

One of the most respected publications to date announced Sunday evening that its old time gig is up. New York Magazine will no longer run weekly, and instead change into a biweekly publication starting in March 2014.

New York Magazine was awarded Magazine of the Year in 2013 by the American Society of Magazine Editors. It is known for many things, including being the home of late famous writer Nora Ephron and dubbing the term “radical chic” by writer Tom Wolfe in the 70’s.

Even with all these accomplishments, the owners of New York Magazine have decided to cut 13 issues out yearly. For many, New York Magazine is something to look forward to all week. However, that is not enough to keep the publication running. Cutting a dozen issues will put reportedly 3.5 million dollars into digital work for the magazine.

Editor in Chief Adam Moss remains hopeful, “I would be more concerned if we didn’t address how the market and people’s reading habits have changed. I would not be doing this if I didn’t believe we could make a better magazine and continue to grow what we do both in print and online,” said Moss at a press conference in Manhattan.

If you are an online mag lover- get ready; because New York Magazine is not only going to turn into an online publication, but they are preparing to launch a whole new version of the magazine. According to the New York Times, New York Magazine online will now have four main stories instead of three. These stories will focus on subjects that the organization believes will pull numbers in such as, fashion and culture. 

While plenty are bummed about the cut back of issues, it actually is adding jobs to the payroll at New York Magazine. Over 15 people will be added to help with the new online magazine.

Our lives are centered on how we get our news. My dad starts his day with his paper, but my roommate starts hers with Twitter. How we receive information is changing and it seems the world is trying to figure it out, even in New York City.

HC xo,

Kate

Hello Collegiettes! My name is Kate Gentile and I am a current junior at Saint Joseph's University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. My favorite things include my dog Lilly, traveling and really arsty instagrams. Oh, and I am obsessed with Kate Middleton AND Beyonce.I am a Comm major and double minor in Advertising, PR, and Entertainment Marketing. During my time at SJU, I have interned at Philly Mag, became a sister of Alpha Phi and studied abroad last semester in Roma, Italy.After studying abroad, I now want to see many places all over the world and live for moments of beautiful unplanned enjoyment- random road trips to the beach, stopping for a drink at a cool dive bar- you name it, I am down to experience!HC SJU is an amazing team of 40+ girls (and growing) who want to offer you content of news, love, college and more. I hope you enjoy the HC SJU site and my own writing!HC XO,Kate