Play it Safe: Appropriate Advice for Drinking in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

The beginning of a new school year means a fresh start with classes, housing, friends, maybe your first college move-in, and of course, many opportunities for fun. We’ve heard it all before, “Drink responsibly” “Be safe” and “Don’t walk home alone” Maybe you remember the pre-prom video your high school hosted showing the affects of drinking and driving. If you’re a freshman you’ve heard it recently at orientation when you sit in Barbelin and learn the measurements of a shot, glass of wine, and one 12 oz Solo cup. Even more imporantly: How to safely play beer pong.

However many times during those moments you thought, “I get it” or “I already know this” there is still a very important reason why these information sessions happen in the first place: Because these tragedies caused by drinking are happening, all around us. These tragedies may have not affected you yet, but there is a very possible and plausible chance it might.

For instance, on Thursday Morning, August 29, 18-year old college sophomore, Kinara Patel was found unconscious in her dorm room on Villanova’s Campus. Upon further investigation police pronounced her dead at the scene. There were no signs of foul play, no evidence of suicide and no underlying health conditions that could have led to this devastatinging tragedy. The only understanding police officials have is that she was out the night before. Whether alcohol was related or not, Villanova is right down the street from us. This is a very real, very tragic situation, one where most of us probably say… “That will never happen to me”. Keep Reading.

Less recently, In 2011 a Saint Joseph’s University female got into a cab after a night out in Manayunk and was raped in a cab she hailed on Main Street. The cab was never classified as a legitimate taxi or a car that looked like a cab.  At the time, the school asked students to please be on alert.

Things like this don’t happen every day. It’s much bigger than a written warning, or a meeting with the Community Standards Board; far worse than a slap on the wrist. This is why it is so important to be constantly reminded of what can and does happen.

So what do these tragedies mean for campus safety? Recently it has been rumored that the Liquor Control Board is on Hawk Hill. The last time this rumor spread was in the fall semester of 2011. The gossip around campus claims the liquor control board lurks when disaster strikes. However, there is no valid evidence that this is true. The facts we have found are as follows:

It’s not just the Liquor Control Board that is around campus; it is undercover officers working with the LCB looking to tackle the issue of underage drinking. They are “authorities” that are on campus to make sure that students are staying safe, not drinking in public, and parties aren’t getting too out of control. Overall students should always be aware of their surroundings, watch their drinks closely, never walk home alone, and know their limits. Our sources connected to the Pennsylvania police department have told us if students conduct themselves in the right way, they have nothing to worry about. Accident’s, however, happen.

Here’s the punishment if caught:

If caught by undercover officers, students can be cited and fined; and if the student lives in Pennsylvania, their license can be suspended for up to 6 months. You always want to cooperate with the police, otherwise arresting you may be warranted.

As a college community we should celebrate the new semester, enjoy a night out with our friends, forget a few details, wake up with a story to tell.  Althought, as cliché as it sounds, it never hurts to play it safe.

My name is Annie Lagasse and although it's hard to admit, I am a senior at St. Joseph's University. Studying communications and marketing, over the last 3 years I've found a very special place in my heart for Hawk Hill. I grew up in a small town called Simsbury CT, with my two older brothers, my mom (who doubles as my best friend) and my wonderful father. Although I was blessed to grow up among the local farms, cow pastures and homemade ice cream stands of Simsbury, after 18 years it was time to branch out. While I'm still adapting to the big city and learning to love water ice and soft pretzels, I have certainly found a home in Philadelphia.