News Flash: Your Week in One

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Fort Hood deals with another mass shooting.

Authorities have identified the man who opened fire at Fort Hood in Texas as Specialist Ivan Lopez. Three people were killed and 16 others were injured in the shooting this past Wednesday. This is the second shooting at Fort Hood in five years. Back in 2009 a mass shooting left 13 on the base dead. Lopez is said to have had “behavioral health and mental health” issues after his tour in Iraq. This unfortunate event brings to light the ongoing issues with PTSD and other mental health issues many military members face after deployment. A base commander said his mental health issues may have been the cause of the attack.

See ABC’s report here.

The FDA approves Evzio.

This week the FDA approved a new product called Evzio, the device contains a drug called naloxone that can save a person who has overdosed on heroin or on painkillers including, Vicodin and OxyCotin.  Currently over 16,000 people each year die from this type of overdose Evzio can be used by caregivers or family members in case of an overdose emergency. Evzio is a handheld automatic injector that speaks instructions to the user when it is turned on and activated. FDA Commissioner Margaret A. Hamburg said that Evzio is “an extremely important innovation that will save lives.”

See NBC’s report here

A Powerful Earthquake hits Chile.

On Tuesday night an earthquake that registered 8.2 on the Richter scale rocked Chile, then on Wednesday a large aftershock of 7.6 was reported. There were several more strong aftershocks, damaging the already damaged buildings and infrastructure. Because the initial earthquake was so large aftershocks can continue over a few weeks, months, or even years, according to the USGS. In the aftermath 6 people have been reported dead, from falling debris or from heart attacks. The quake also has set off a tsunami, forcing people to evacuate coastal areas.

See Time’s report here.

Hi! Name is Ally, and I'm from the Lehigh Valley in PA. I am a sophomore Marketing major, Spanish minor at Saint Joseph's University. I am very excited to on the editorial team for Her Campus SJU!