National Campus Safety Awareness Month: What to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

What is it?

In order to promote campus safety awareness, The Clery Center, a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting security on campuses across the United States, has named September National Campus Safety Awareness Month (NCSAM). The Clery Center focuses on issues impacting college campuses like “high risk drinking, illegal drug use, prescription drug abuse, sexual assault, stalking, relationship violence, hazing, hate crimes, and fire safety.” [CL1] They partner with colleges and universities across the nation to offer campus safety programs and resources to raise awareness to college students of these issues and how to prevent them. As September comes to an end, we still must constantly remind ourselves of how to remain smart and safe on our college campuses.

Meghan Cleary ’15, an intern for The Clery Center, believes that “NCASM is really important and [The Clery Center] is doing important work. It’s super important to inform students about the campus climate and as an intern [she’s] able to see a lot of the webinars and trainings on the topic. It’s important to stay informed on all topics related to NCASM.”

What can you do?

NCASM specifically addresses what you, as a student, can do for yourself. While we don’t live in the safest neighborhood, there are proactive steps you can take to protect yourself.

1.     Apps are a girl’s best friend.

There’s an app called Safe Trek, which you can download on any Smartphone for $1.99. How it works: open it when you feel unsafe and press your finger to the panic button. You keep your finger on the button until you feel that you are safe again, then remove your finger and enter a four-digit code. If at any time your finger comes off the phone and you don’t enter the code, 911 will immediately be dialed and your location will be sent to the police.

You can find more information on the app at www.safetrekapp.com.

2.     Public Safety.

Safety was named one of the top seven most underrated aspects of SJU. To protect yourself, make sure you have their number in your phone and always call them when you feel unsafe for a ride home. Don’t take the chance; it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Public Safety’s direct line is: (610)-660-1111

3.     Be aware of your surroundings and know your limits.

Make sure you’re aware of your location all the time. Create a buddy system and never walk anywhere alone. Don’t let your friends walk anywhere alone,  either. Most of all, just be aware of the decisions you’re making.

For more information on The Clery Center and what you can do visit http://www.clerycenter.org