Knowing the Facts and Signs of Eating Disorders

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

With many major companies launcing eating disorder awareness campaigns, we at Her Campus SJU wanted to shed a little light on a problem that plagues not just college girls, but women and men across America. According to the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders (ANAD), 80% of women report disordered eating habits by age 20. Up to 30 million people suffer from eating disorders in the United States alone. This is not an issue that can be spoken about in hushed tones anymore. It’s time to get loud about what eating disorders really are, how to spot the signs, and how to find recovery. Let’s eradicate all notion of shame towards those suffering and open up a conversation about seeking help.

Common Myths About Eating Disorders:Someone has to be stick skinny to show signs of an eating disorder Eating disorders can affect anyone of any size. Just because someone does not reflect the image the media has perpetuated of what someone with an eating disorder looks like, doesn’t mean they aren’t suffering.  Eating disorders can be cured by that person just eating normally againHaving an eating disorder isn’t simply skipping meals here and there for the sake of dropping a few pounds. It is very much a mental struggle, and isn’t so easily or superficially cured by just “eating again”. Men don’t suffering from eating disordersWhile eating disorders are more common in teenage girls, that doesn’t make men immune to the same pressures. 10-15% of those diagnosed with eating disorders are males ages 12-19.

“It’s Just A Phase”

No, no it isn’t. It is a serious problem that someone can’t simply “grow out of” when they’re older.

Signs of a Potential Eating Disorder:It’s easy to get sucked up in the media blitz of what we should look like and how we should eat, but when the lines of healthy and obsessive blur, it can become a slippery slope. Here are some signs to pick up on if you think someone you love may have developed an eating disorder: 

– Frequently skipping meals

– Anxiety around food– Obsessive nature towards calories, fat, and carb counts– Talking about wanting to see their bones– Constantly weighing themselves

– Hair loss– Dehydrations– Abuse of diet pills and/or laxativesHow To Approach Your Friend: 

If you notice these behaviors within one of your friends, it may be time to talk to them about the situation. Talking to someone about a potential eating disorder is tricky. Here are some jumping off points to create a safe and open environment that your friend can be comfortable in.  

Choose your language carefully, don’t be accusatory Confronting a friend about a problem they might have is a tricky situation. Use language that shows support for them rather than accusing them of something. For example, don’t used statements such as, “You’ve been skipping meals. You have a problem.” Don’t be their therapistMake yourself available to them when needed, and always be supportive, but know when to turn the problem over to professionals. Your help as a friend is vital, but also not the kind of help a psychiatrist or therapist can provide.

Be patient, respectful, and listenThey’re going to be scared, possibly resistant, and have a lot of emotions going on. Encourage them to express their feelings openly and truthfully. While you may not personally understand their struggle, this is something they battle with every day. Respect their willingness to speak to you about it.Outlets for Help Only 1 in 10 of those who suffer from eating disorders ever receive treatment. That number is too low. But before treatment can happen, help needs to be sought first. From there, a licensed professional can help formulate a variety of treatment options.CAPS is available on campus for counseling and treatment recommendations.  Call 610-660-1090 to make an appointment with a professional.

For help regarding eating disorders, you can always contact the ANAD Eating Disorders Helpline at 1-630-577-1330. For those who are uncomfortable on the phone, ANAD provides an email helpline as well: anadhelp@anad.orgYou are not broken. You are not alone. You’re strong enough to get through this.

HCXO,

Cristiana

Hi internet friends! My name is Cristiana and I'm a senior English major, Communications minor from New Rochelle, New York. I've had a passion for writing before I could walk and am so excited to be sharing that with you all. My goal is to not only entertain and bring humor into the magazine world, but to also empower women and raise awareness of the social and cultural issues we face. I'm an astronomy lover and a cheese enthusiast, as well as constantly hooked up to an IV of caffeine. Ask me about baseball teams. Enjoy my sass and love of carbs? Follow me on Twitter for an endless supply; @doublecee21