I Decided Greek Life Was…the Best Decision for Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Prior to college, I never saw myself in Greek life. I thought it was overrated and that the alleged “bonds” created were a myth. Then, after my first semester at SJU, I still felt out of place. Sure, I had made great friends and had wonderful experiences, but I still felt like something was missing from my college experience. Over winter break, I got the Panhellenic pamphlet promoting rush in the mail, and I decided to give it a shot.  I thought if I hated it, I could always drop out of recruitment.

The first day of recruitment arrived and I was filled with nerves. As I walked through the door to my first party my ears were assaulted with chants and clapping, and I was quickly picked up by an awaiting sister on the other side of the doors, ready to whisk me away and ask my all kinds of questions about my life, what my major was, where I was from, what I did in high school, etc. As I continued through rush, I find myself swept away in the excitement and could see myself as a sorority girl. I realized that sororities weren’t what I thought they were, they were full of girls who truly cared about one another and had a bond that was almost tangible throughout each room I entered.

When bid day finally arrived, and I received my bid from Alpha Omicron Pi.  A new feeling took over me: a sense of belonging. I feel at home with my sisters. I have truly found a bond like none other I had experienced before within my sorority and my sisters. In each of my sisters, I have found a unique friend that I can call on for anything, and I know without a shadow of a doubt that I will always be supported. I know that there will always be 102 other women who have my back on this campus. I know that wherever I go, I will mostly likely be able to find a sister of AOII who shares this bond. Now in my junior year, I feel more connected to my sisters than ever. 

My little, Kelly Aaronson, and I on Bid Day this year.

AOII Sigma Beta on Bid Day Spring 2014