How to Write a Cover Letter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

The first step to getting your desired internship or job is of course applying. The requirements for any application are the resume, and most likely a cover letter. I am going to teach you hawklettes how to write a cover letter so you can get your dream job or internship!

First, realize the importance of the cover letter. Many companies or magazines get hundreds of applicants for one position, so they are looking for a reason to advance you to the interview portion. Writing a cover letter that makes you stand out from the others is your best chance at getting you to the interview round.

Format. At the top of the page on the left hand side you are going to write your contact information (name, phone number, and email should suffice). Underneath you are going to put the contact information of the employer. Include the name of company/magazine and their address. Then, directly underneath, simply state the date. Next, if you know whom you are addressing, write “Dear, Mr. Smith,” as you are writing a letter. If you do not know whom you are addressing, simply write, “To Whom it May Concern.” Then, after you have done that, you are just writing a letter.

Keep it short. You want to keep it within 200 words. These people who are reading applications are busy bees. So keep it short, sweet, and to the point. You should be able to sell yourself in less than thirty seconds.

Sell yourself. You are your best advocate. You need to believe that you are the best candidate for the job and you need to tell them why. Don’t sell yourself short; tell them your strengths and why you would benefit them. Why do they need to hire you?

Show them you know your stuff. If you are applying for a magazine internship for example, show them that you read and are a big fan of the magazine. Do your homework. Don’t just tell them you love their publication just like everyone else. Tell them why. Flattery and knowledge will get you everywhere.

Important note. These people do not care about your life’s ambitions, the college courses you are taking, or your charity work. They are interested in your experience, and what you can do for them.

Close. End your letter by thanking them for their time. Signing sincerely is usually best.

Hope this helped! Happy holidays lovelies!