How To Throw Your Own Oscar Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Throw your own oscar partyacademy style

The 87th Academy Awards will take place this Sunday, February 22nd, and Her Campus SJU is here to help put your best, red-carpet, foot forward to throw a classy viewing party. With suggestions on attire, decorations, games, food and more—look no further for your Oscar party ideas.

What to wear?

Depending on the vibe you are going for, we suggest to either go “all-out” or “all-in.” For a classy, red-carpet vibe have guests where their best academy-award attire. Formal wear will make for a realistic atmosphere and make it fun to give out your own oscars for “best dressed.”

For a comfortable, relaxing night, have guests arrive in their cutest PJs and slippers. Who needs to compare themselves to Hollywoods finest, anyways?

How to Decorate?

1)   Red Carpet

Purchase a red runner or table cloth at a local party store and lay it out by your front door. Guests will arrive and get to walk their own red carpet into your house or apartment.

2) Plates & Cutlery

Purchase gold plastic plates and silverware, with a black table cloth and napkins for a classic evening spread. Guests will feel like they are being wined-and-dined all the way out in Hollywood.

3) Print out black and white photos of movies posters to complete the classic, old-Hollywood ambience.

Games

Option #1: trivia

Giving each guest a ballot and having them guess the winners of each category before the awards begin. Have each guests chip in $1-$10 for the winning prize of the best ballot.

Printable ballots for 2015 can be found at:

http://cdn.media.oscar.abc.com/media/2015/pdf/2015/nominees_full_list_for_oscars_2015.pdf

Option #2: Oscar bingo:

Print out bingo cards with winners of each category on them, have paper stars as the bingo markers. As the awards are given out, have guests mark their bingo cards as they go. Whoever gets bingo can have an award of your choice.

Printable bingo cards for 2015 can be found at:

http://www.hgtv.com/design/make-and-celebrate/handmade/free-printable-os…

Option #3) Have your own awards at the end of the night

Make either paper plate awards or your own version of an oscar and award them to your guests based on best dressed, best trivia winner, celebrity look-a-like, etc.

What to serve?

Drink: The golden dream signature cocktail

Send your guests straight back to 1960s Hollywood:

(Serves 2)

2 ounces good-quality Triple Sec (such as Cointreau)

2 ounces Galliano liqueur

2 ounces orange juice (fresh-squeezed, if possible)

1 ounce light table cream

Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker over ice, and shake vigorously. Strain into cocktail glasses. (This drink is traditionally served without a garnish.)

Find at: http://www.thekitchn.com/straight-up-golden-dream-cockt-43430

Snack: Popcorn bar

Have various types of gourmet popcorn in a cute DIY arrangement and allow your guests to mix and match their favorite flavors. Service this along with other finger foods and you will have an oscar-worthy spread.

Happy Academy Award-ing!

HCXO, Rachel