Hawk Women #2: Where Is She Now?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SJU chapter.

Internship Season: The Search Prevails!

Experience is the best way to endorse your skills when it comes to seeking a full time job offer after graduation. People do talk, so the network you create can go a very long way. Any sort of clubs, activities and leadership positions are excellent sources of gaining valuable experience in building your resume. These activities provide depth to who you are as a person; a leader and your potential to provide these assets to the career you will be spending time creating from 9 am-5 pm, everyday. Internships are one of the most essential ways to elevate your experience to an entirely new level as you show your ability to adapt to “real-world” experience, as if you are a first-year at the organization. Many times, internship can conclude to full time offers. Given, you put your best foot forward and provide the sense of value to your position. 

This is exactly what happened to, Kaitlin McDermott, a May 2011 graduate from Saint Joseph’s University.

So, “Where is She Now?” will highlight female alumni, Hawk Woman, from Saint Joseph’s University each week. In reality, we want to know where our alumni are today, who is doing what and the challenges our young, workforce of females are facing each and everyday. 

Kaitlin McDermott

Major: Accounting

Campus Involvement: Delta Sigma Pi (Marketing Chair-2009, Vice President of Chapter Operations-2010 and President-2011), Sutula Scholar, Accounting Society, Volunteer Income Tax Assistant, Marketing Intern in the Athletics Departments, PwC xTax Case Competition, Community Day & Hand in Hand Participant

Where are you employed and what is you position in the organization today?

I am currently employed at PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP (“PwC”) where I was hired in Core Assurance in the Financial Services Industry focused on Investment Management and Real Estate clients.  I was able to make the transition to Campus Sourcing in 2013, where I am the lead recruited at West Chester University.

What type of internship experience is related to the job you have today?

I interned in the Winter/Spring of 2010 at PwC (PricewaterhouseCoopers). I did not have a traditional junior year at SJU. Instead, I choose to partake in a three month internship with the firm to be exposed the taste of “busy season” where a lot of work needs to be done in the public accounting world for a client in a minimal amount of time. It is expose to the profession where 60-70 hours of work per week becomes a reality! After my internship, I was offered a full time opportunity with the firm.

What is the best piece of advice for your first few months of employment?

I encourage all new employees, whether Full Time or Intern, to ask questions, have a positive attitude, and communicate.  When you ask questions it shows your eagerness to learn about your responsibilities and also the company or client.  Walking into work each day with a smile on your face and a willingness to help the team goes such a long way.  My final piece of advice is to always communicate with your colleagues.  All of the opportunities I’ve had in my career, thus far, have come from communicating my interests and not being afraid to raise my hand.  I always made recruiting younger Hawks a priority when I began my career after college.  By communicating my passion for finding talent from my Alma Mater, I was able to be actively involved on campus and have the support from my team members at the office.

How has an education from SJU helped you in the real world?

My Jesuit education made me a well-rounded person upon entering the real-world.  I had studied business and gained a technical skill set, however, the liberal arts classes allowed me to shape other soft skills that set me apart from my peers.  I left Hawk Hill with business acumen, but also a global understanding and the ability to form meaningful relationships.

What is the biggest difference going from a full time student to a full time employee?

Your schedule!  College allows you to make your own schedule.  If you’re not a morning person, then you have the option to only schedule classes in the afternoon.  Unfortunately, in the real-world, your schedule is a bit more set.  Flexibility comes with time, but that was my biggest adjustment when making the transition. 

If you could go back in time, is there anything you would have done differently?

My time at SJU was invaluable, and I always smile when I think back to the best four years of my life.  I would have loved to go on a study tour abroad during one of the breaks.  It’s much harder to plan a big trip when you are in the real-world!  My ultimate piece of advice is to take advantage of your time on campus – always hang out with your friends, stay out an extra hour, go to a presentation during free period, etc.  Sometimes it’s easier to hang back, but you never have the chance to regain those four years, so make the most of your time!

What is on top of your bucket list?

Over the past year and a half I’ve become involved in cycling.  I was given a new road bike for my birthday and plan to ride from Philly to the Shore this summer!

What do you see yourself doing in ten years?

In ten years, I hope to be married and have a family.  I come from a large family and have 7 nieces and nephews.  Family and friends are the most important part of my life.  From a career perspective, I see myself at PwC.  One great aspect of our firm is the ability to grow a unique career.  Everyone has a different path, and the firm allows you to pursue opportunities while staying with the same company.  I see myself continuing to pursue a career in Human Resources.

-HCxo SJUHerProfessional